Author Topic: Seeking advice on first trilam bow* Newbie Alert*  (Read 1884 times)

Offline CopterDoctor

Seeking advice on first trilam bow* Newbie Alert*
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »
Greetings all, I have in my possession some vertical grain quarter sawn Maple and Hickory. I want to attempt to make a 68" nock to nock 50 lb @ 27" with about 3.5 inches of reflex. I was thinking on using the hickory on the back and belly with a maple core. I guess I would go 1.75 wide in the middle and start tapering 10" into my fades to 1/2" at the tips? Cut my backing at 1/8 at center tapering down to 1/16 at the tips, core maybe at 3/16" and belly straight 5/16 and tiller all at the belly. I will glue on about a 10" riser to contour the belly with an arrow rest cut over center. I may be way off target here, but does this layout sound practical or even possible? This is will be my third bow if I can make it happen. My first two were merely red oak board bows. Thanks in advance

mikekeswick

Re: Seeking advice on first trilam bow* Newbie Alert*
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:54:53 am »
Somewhere near but don't taper the backing imo.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:16 am »
Sounds good. I do have a few small notes/tips:

- 3 1/2"  of reflex is a lot. I would settle for a bit less. Maybe clamp in 3 1/2"  so it will spring back a little, ending up with maybe 2 1/2"
- I'm not sure if hickory on the belly is the way to go. Maybe, just maybe, a maple belly may be better. Anyone else has a suggestion? Hickory-maple-hickory or hickory-maple-maple?
- A block for a handle like you describe can easily pop off. You could avoid this by gluing in a 'powerlam'  between the backing and the core. This is a short (about 16"  or so) lam of max. 1/8"  in the center that beefs up the handle. This shifts the bend away from the fades, more towards the mid limbs, so the 10" handle block is less likely to pop off.
- A backing of 1/8"  is great. It can be tapered a little, but is not needed IMO. Instead, I think it's better to taper the core. 3/16" at the center, tapered to 1/8"  at the tips is perfect. The taper makes sure you'll not end up with only backing and core at the tips. With this taper, you'll also have sufficient thickness at the tips to include enough belly wood.

Good luck and post pics!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline CopterDoctor

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:00:34 pm »
Thanks guys! Hickory maple maple sounds like a winner to me. Gotta get my shop back in order before a get started. Pictures will be posted shortly.