Author Topic: Writing and marking on bows  (Read 12580 times)

Offline mspink

Writing and marking on bows
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »
Hey guys what do you use to write on your bows with. I have been using ink that smears. Was wondering what looks sharp and last a long time? Where can I get it?? Thanks guys.
Aim small miss small!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Writing and marking on bows
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »
Ms Pink, I have had that problem for years.  I tried nearly every brand of marker and fine line ink pen on the market and was never happy.  Seems every finish in the world works to dissolve ink.  I finally won the battle by going to spray shellac as a finish.  It, too, dissolves the ink.  But since I am not wiping it on, it doesn't smear. 

I am now using ultra fine tip architect's markers with solid black pigments found in India ink.  Dye type inks fade in sunlight. 

Haven't seen much of you around lately, was afraid maybe you were sent over to the sandbox.  Good to see you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:41 pm »
I'm glad I read this. I just decorated a bow with a micron pen straight onto the rawhide backing. I haven't finished it with anything yet. Are you saying if I spread tru-oil over the drawing it will mess it up?  :-\

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:05:37 pm »
i have been using a calligraphy pen  and it works good just let it dry,plus you can get different color refills.
Shawn Acker

Offline mspink

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
Hey thanks guys. An jw I have been busy. But no deployment! Just tdy' s. I have been making though! Made four today. But I have used a pen that was great if you let it dry but of course I don't know what kind!  ::). Anyway. Can't find it anywhere.
Aim small miss small!

Offline billn

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:21 am »
I use Tru-Oil finishes and use a lettering point dipped in India Ink. I do the writing prior to applying the last two or three coats of oil. Be sure to let the ink dry thoroughly oiling over it, and be gentle with that first oil overcoat.

That is the method used by Gilman Keasey and his lettering is still sharp and unfaded on the 1936 bow of his I own.

Bill

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:57:33 am »
Well, its hard to argue with the results Billn mentions but here is how i do it...

I go two ways, first is pencil. I write on there then burn it in with a soldering iron.

Second is I sand the wood smooth then write in fine point sharpie. then seal over it with a thin coat of superglue after the ink has dried. Careful or the glue will smear the ink. After that has dried, you are good to put whatever you want over it.

Dont discount charcoal or pencil though. As a portrait and landscape artist, I often deal with these medium. Once done, I will take hair spray over the work to set the graphite or charcoal in. After that it can be handled without smudging. Perhaps the same concept but use something other than hairspray, like a watertight adhesive, I seem to recall buying some in a spray can for sealing wood at Walmart.   
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:46 am »
I second the calligraphy pen.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53:35 am »
I just use a fine point sharpie, let it dry good then go light with the first coat of TruOil. After the first no worries. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:07:41 am »
  Spray Polly over a Sharpie.  No worries.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:03:07 am »
I use a wood burner to actually mark into the wood. It was like 30 bucks at sears and works great.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:13 am »
This topic comes up a lot.

White archival calligraphy ink and an extra fine tip pen. One bottle of ink is a lifetime supply.

Hard to beat the results, the lettering stands out more the darker the osage gets. I put a couple coats of tru-oil over the lettering to keep it from wearing off.

Offline billn

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:13 am »
> I just use a fine point sharpie, let it dry good then go light with the first coat of TruOil. After the first no worries.

The only problem is those "permanent marker" Sharpies are not permanent under sunlight. They will ultimately fade, maybe not for 5 or 10 years, but I want my lettering to last as long as the bow. I used some on my gardening labels this year and they are all faded pretty badly even after 3 months of partial sunlight.  I just looked at one of the pens, nowhere does it state that the lettering will be fade resistant, only that it is permanent.

I found an outdoor gardening felt tip pen that is supposed to be fade resistant. I labeled some large flower pots with it a couple of weeks ago. I will see how they look after a year.

Bill

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 12:21:50 pm »
Boy I like that idea Eric!!

Scott

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »
I use a Sharpie brand fine point paint pen.  I let it dry for a few minutes and then start putting on the tru-oil.  No smears at all.  I like Eric's white lettering.  Might have to give that a try.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left