Author Topic: Poaching in a National Park  (Read 1346 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Poaching in a National Park
« on: November 03, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »
Couple of jack-lighters shot two bull elk in Wind Cave National Park here in south Dakota a while back.  No attempt was made to take the horns much less the meat.  Pure and simple arrogant and pointless thrill-seeking behavior, definitely NOT what we hunters can ever approve of.  Well, they got caught.  Sadly, here in South Dakota, the courts often impose the least possible fines because ... well, who knows why?  Lack of respect for the resource I guess.  Sadly, two of the three comments posted online make it sound like the poachers are the ones being victimized. 

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/one-man-pleads-another-waits-hearing-in-wind-cave-elk/article_ccd93cb1-6b22-56ca-b5d9-d3a029a1f36b.html

Since this was in a National Park, and we are the people affected by the crime, we are allowed to enter Victim Impact Statements.  These V.I.S.'s are supposed to be considered by the Court when deciding on the fines and-or jail time.  Often they receive no input from the public in these cases, so here's our chance to be heard.    I'll find where to send those statements if anyone is interested in being heard on this case.  Maybe we can encourage a stiffer penalty if the judge hears that public sentiment from SPORTSMEN/WOMEN is strong enough. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

Re: Poaching in a National Park
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
that sucks Jdub.they should throw the book at them.what fun could that have been anyway.btw i would love to see more pics of your birds if you get a chance.i am really interested in that sort of stuff.you are lucky,all i have is a cockatiel.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:03 am »

JW:  Here in Montana, you can beat your wife, or rob someone, with little punishment as to sentencing,  but you sure as
heck better not get caught poaching, or needlessly killing game, or messing with live stock.  they do take a dim view of it!  The minimum for poaching is a fine of $2,000.00 dollars or more, plus two years revocation of hunting and fishing privileges, and depending on the crime, you could do time to boot, and lose all gun privileges!  Don't even consider livestock crimes!
You would be better off committing the other crimes listed!  Even if they took the meat, or even just the horns, it is still wrong.  But to just leave it, to rot, or feed the yotes, or stinkin wolves, is a sad state of human beings.  Hopefully the eagles got some of it.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »
One thing about Montana...they are serious about their sentences when it comes to poaching!  But Texas takes the cake....they can fine you the going rate for hunting a similar deer at a high fence operation in that area.  For example, you shoot a really nice whitetail and the neighboring landowner charges $18,000 for a buck of that class, well, that's your fine.  I'm ok with that.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:17:22 pm »
JW, I'm just a bit south of you and it's not good advertising to get nailed for poaching. Folks around here kinda frown on it and it will stick with you for a long time. IMO the penalty should match the crime but that isn't always the case nowadays.
These boys were old enough to know better and seems like someone missed a class or two when they were handing out principles.
Hope they learn their lesson but for some reason I have my doubts.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.