Author Topic: anybody know what these are?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Josh B

anybody know what these are?
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »
In away, seeing these all ripe for the picking is bitter sweet.  While I do love munching on these little sweet beauties, it also signifies the last of the tree ripened fruit for the year.  At least where I live anyway.  These aren't from home though, these are from just outside of Lansing MI.  But they are just as delicious!  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: anybody know what these are?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »
Looks like deadly nightshade to me.  Are you feeling lightheaded?  A bit naseous?   >:D

Any chance you can get a pic of the plant along with any leaves?  Or is it too late for leaves?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:36:54 pm »
Lol!  The only effects I shall be experiencing from these will be the possible asphyxiation that results from enclosed spaces and the digestion of an overindulgence of fruit.  They are Autumn olives and they taste like really sweet grapes.  They are little, but juicy and nutritious. Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »
possible asphyxiation that results from enclosed spaces and the digestion of overindulgence

Whistle berries?

Toot fruit?

Gas grapes?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »
Huh, never tasted them. Cut tons of it down though. I'll have to walk across the road and pick some in the morning. Must at least be tasty for the plant to be as widespread as multiflora rose ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:34:04 am »
I forgot that these are ripe as well.  They are nice and soft and sweet!  Kinda like little jelly packets hanging on the tree.  I like to spread the flesh on buttered biscuits (minus the seeds and skin)  Now that's good eat'n!  Did you try them Autumn olives yet Tracy?  Josh

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:46:27 am »
Not yet. My wife says I'm nuts! As for the persimmons, loved them as a kid and ate them till I couldn't eat anymore, but today I just don't care for them much off of my trees- seeds are terribly bitter now. Getting ready to head to deer camp for a couple of days and will try those autumn olive berries.

Tracy

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:05 am »
I need to plant some persimmons out here in eastern washington,we got possums moving in and the raccoons and turkeys have been here for years,might as well have some ssimon's for 'em to eat. ...(Anyone got some seeds ?)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:33:53 pm »
It just so happens that I saved the seeds to start me a patch at home. I saved more than I need, so if you pm me your addy i'll send you some.   Josh

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »
Are these the same thing?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »
I believe they are.  However, it would be easier to verify if you took pics of leaves, bark, and how the fruit hangs on the branch.  I don't know of any other fruit or berry that has those silver speckles, so I am inclined to believe that they are indeed Autumn Olive.  The tree is loaded with thorns and the fruit has only one pit if that helps.  Josh

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:41 pm »
Yep you described it perfectly.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »
I bet it is Autumn Olive, but its best to be absolutely sure before eating any unknown berries.  I cut some saplings from the patch there in Michigan and because it was raining, I kept them in my sleeper.  I kept smelling watermelon in my truck and finally figured out that the smell was coming from the autumn Olive saplings.  One more way to id it I guess. I hope it makes a good bow.  I don't recall anybody using it before, if someone has, any insight would be appreciated.  Josh

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
Okay Josh, I searched long and found only a few that were red ripe. We have had severe drought all summer and may have affected the fall fruit crop. The few that I found were tart then sweet like a small grape. I did some research and saw on the USDA site that they created the Autumnberry Research Lab to explore organic farming opportunities for the berry since it grows in poor soil types and requires no chemicals. Thanks for the post and new info Josh!

Tracy

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »
well i ate a few of them today and they tasted like a grape almost and was sweet tasting but left my mouth dry. still good though! :)