Author Topic: Replacing/repairing tip overlays  (Read 1914 times)

Offline vyadha

Replacing/repairing tip overlays
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »
I was shooting a new bow today and after fifty or so shots the overlays blew out. its a 52# Bamboo Dragon. I was shooting arrows that weighed 625 grains, apprx 12 gpp with the string the bow came with. I dont see any damage to the back. How do go about replacing the overlays? Ive never done this before but Im willing to give it a shot.

The overlays were padauk and horn. I have ipe, hickory and osage laying around but am thinking about buying some phenolic.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline vyadha

Re: Replacing/repairing tip overlays
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »
Pics

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:06:37 pm »
That's a personal choice for you.I'd put horn on there myself.I doubt very much whether they will blow out.I've been using smooth on epoxy lately for my overlays.Used to use superglue all the time and that works great too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:07:55 am »
Agree with Beadman.  Ipe or Osage will work.  I would sand it down to a smooth surface and shape another one out similar to the old ones.  Smooth on Epoxy works great.  Fit it up good and flush, glue it, clean it up a little and your done.  Really simple.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:12:18 am »
I find that the gel locktite brand of super glue works best. Making tip overlays is so dang simple, dont sweat it, just make sure your glue surfaces are clean and flat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:05 am »
Contact James Parker and ask him for suggestions. He will tell you what glue and overlay materials would be compatable.
 I remember when Dana got that bow from James.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vyadha

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:20:51 am »
Thanks all, I did end up contacting James. He said the overlays probably failed due to the paduk. He's sending me some "tuff overlay material". Real good guy.
I'm gonna go ahead and get the tips ready for the overlays and see what James sends me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:43 am »
James is a class act!  8) ...ugly, but a class act.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:57 am »
Yes padauk has it's uses but not for overlays unless it's a very thin layer. It also looks like the grain is running diagonally throught the piece used.
You must grind another flat onto the bow or else you will have a layer that is already soaked in glue and will not be able to soak anymore in thus giving a weak bond.
Osage / ipe will work but both would not be my choice. Remember to use quarter sawn wood if you ever use it again.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:18 am »
Mike hit the nail on the head about the grain oreintation and getting down to a clean fresh surface.In the future remember horn has a longitudal grain too.Like for horn inserts in the nocks of arrows too.Way back I had an overlay come off using that two tube 5 min. epoxy you get at Walmart.I'll never use that stuff again.It does'nt need a whole lot of pressure but enough.Never met James but I'm sure he'll take care of ya good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bowman

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »
Loctite super glue works great. Lots of hard woods are good but horn is better.  :)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »
Thats the second one of those that I have seen blow. Bummer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.