Author Topic: Skinning my first bow  (Read 1804 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Skinning my first bow
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »
I am adding a rat skin to the white oak molle I displayed earlier on this site. I know there are various adhesives that can be used for this, but was my rationale. I decided on hide glue since I would have an easier time correcting mistakes. (by re-heating) I wanted to use titebond hide glue, but would have had to order some since my local big boy store quit carrying it. I decided to try the store bought gelatin method. They were out of Knox, so I had to use the store brand. I put 2 packs in about a cup of water and nuked it for about 20 seconds, then put it in a tiny crock pot to keep warm. It was not very thick....almost like a very thin syrup. I soaked the skins in warm water and sized the rawhide back with the glue. Then I put glue on the skins and applied them. OK, my question is this. It is in the 60's here today. Is there a particular temp required for hide glue of this type and how long does it take to dry/cure? Also this was way too much glue. Is there a way to save the rest for future use? It is not very expensive, but it seems like I have seen some people letting it gel save it for future use by warming up to re-melt. Here is a pic.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:15:43 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Skinning my first bow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »
Good work!  Your temps are fine, but f you put the bow in the sun it will cure a little faster.  Air movement is even better, helps wick off the moisture. 

As for saving the rest of your glue, just let it gel into jiggler consistency, pop it outa the little crock, and put it in a plastic bag in the freezer.  If you are going to use more in the next day or so, you can refrigerate.  If you leave it for long it will get moldy and stink to high heaven. 

You can also warm it up and pour it over a cookie sheet to increase the surface area.  Once it gells, chop it fine and spread out on several cookie sheets to dry.  Make sure you have air moving across it to it dries quickly or it will mold.  It will re-constitute in warm water, but the larger the chips you make the longer it takes for them to re-constitute. 

These days I just use the freezer, it's more convenient for me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »
Thanks, J Dub. How long should I wait to be sure it is dry enough to start trimming it up? Do you think overnight would be long enough? Also what do you use for the scales? Some like the steel wood and some like tape.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »
Since snake skin makes an excellent moisture barrier, I would let it sit for several days to get well cured. 

To do a "Brazilian" on the scales, just use cheap masking tape.  Stick it down gently and let'er rip!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:54 pm »
Yeah. I forgot about the skins being saturated....was thinking let the glue dry. Next weekend it is...darn it. Thank goodness I glued up a hickory backed bullet wood last night. Thanks for the help, JW!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »
Not a problem buddy!  Keep posting pics of your bows.