Author Topic: Big Spall...Little Point  (Read 1288 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Big Spall...Little Point
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:08 am »
Well, I turned a perfectly good obsidian preform until a teeny 68 gr point this morning working on my trade points for Fred.  Good grief.

Really a shame and totally my fault as I tried to thin too far out on the tip with indirect.  I actually broke the point off the point ( :) been dying to type that) 3 times before I was done.  ::) Then I tried a bottle bottom and first broke the bottom perfectly in half (which I liked).  Then I was able to break each half in half again (didn't like that so much). :'(  Think I'll quit for awhile.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Big Spall...Little Point
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:52 am »
Great save George. There's nothing wrong with that point. I broke points right & left when I'd try to thin them more & still do. When I slow down & pay attention to point surface & platforms I have much better luck.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
Nice point I do the same thing I think one more flake & it will be good then it becomes two points instead of one.
Rob

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »
That'll be one of my turkey points George. Looks like you put enough time in already. Wished I had an audio tape recording when that point broke ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 03:51:38 pm »
You'd a been disappointed.  I break em so often that I usually just shake my head.  Learned that from Don, until it's sharp it's just a rock.  I really wanted to get a point from it though as I got that spall in one of my first trades on PA, though I don't remember who I got it from.  I've waited until now to use them as I was pretty sure I'd get points from them.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »
At least you got a cool little point...atta boy george ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:33 pm »
Nice save. I hav just been focusing onaking performs
And not to much on the points. I took my training wheel
Now out this weekend and was going to try and stick one
But just did not pull back on anything. Keep chipping
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:47:33 pm »
Well I'd like to show you all what I got today in the mail. Points + pine pitch for my first attempt on my bamboo and cane shafts.

Thank you George.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »
Glad they made the trip safe Fred.  I don't remember who I traded for that glue, might have been an outright gift when I was at the same point you are.  Turn one of them red and I'll be a VERY happy camper. ;D

Hey, any chance you could get some honey in the comb from your beekeeper friend?  That's one of my favorite foods.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »
He was out when I talked to him last week but was heading to S.D. to clean up some hives. I'll see him again next Tuesday and get some if he has any.