Author Topic: Gilman keasey longbow  (Read 6997 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Gilman keasey longbow
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:22:51 pm »
maybe this isnt the place for this but for anyone interested in archery history i just saw a gilman keasey longbow on ebay from the early 60's. ive read about him in the intro to one of the bowyer bibles. anyway if this isnt the place or i shouldnt have posted it delete it or move it just figured it was a rare bow , and someone on here would like to have it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Gilman keasey longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:20 am »
 Thanks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »
I was doing a search and found this. Thought I'd bring back some old memories and possibly some new interest in what seems to be an unknown or forgotten master of the trade.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:41:04 am »
Fred, thanks for posting, he is a big part of the local archery history here in Oregon. I came across another post of yours while doing a search on Keasey awhile back where you mentioned this bow, so glad to see you took the time to post some pictures of it here.  :)  What is the length? Is it rawhide backed?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:32:02 am »
CMB, It's 64" NTN. Sapwood back, heartwood belly. I've actually always been a bit confused on this bow because I purchased it about 15 minutes after it was posted on the wall. I asked questions after the purchase because I knew it wasn't going to last long. I took a gamble that for me paid off.
A member with a lot of prior posts advertised he was selling it for an older neighbor that could no longer shoot. The photos he sent pretty much convinced me that it was legit and in reasonably good condition, lightly used, and well taken care of. I'd agreed to purchase the bow in my first PM with him contingent upon the pics.
When I initially asked what wood the bow was made from, the seller didn't know but would ask the older gentleman and get back to me. I had suggested that it looked like osage and the gentleman wasn't sure but tended to agree and thought maybe that was what it was.
When the bow arrived and held it in my hand, my mind said: Somethings not right!!!! Way too light!!
I did some research and talked to a multitude of others about the bow and most all of them agreed that the bow was not osage but yew. So I've always claimed it was a yew, hell I don't know, it could be an osage with sapwood backing.
I will tell you that although it's marked 52#@28 it weighs in at17.1 oz mass weight with the string and silencers and pulls to 47#@28 on my scale>
I've owned many many bows over my years and not a one of them can compare to this one and that's a fact.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:19:54 am »
VERY cool Fred ! Sure looks like Yew too Me, nice piece of Archery history.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:06:12 am »
I love the history/story of this bow.  It's a beautiful bow.  But the handle wraps, stike plate and arrow rest really intrique me.  I didn't see any stitching, is the wrap glue on?  What is the material for the stike plate and arrow rest?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:14 am »
I believe the handle is Cork.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:38 am »
chamookman, you are correct on the handle material being cork. The strikeplate and arrow rest seem to be made from the same substance but I haven't a clue as to what it is.

The handle section measures 1 1/8" W X 1 11/16" D. The limb widths are 1 7/16" at the fades and gradually taper the full length to 5/8" at the tips and the limb depth beginning just beyond the fades are 5/8" gradually tapered to 7/16" at the tip.

The limbs are flat with radius corners. I tried counting growth rings but these old eyes will have to wait for the sun to come up and get out the magnifying glass. There appears to be 25 rings + in the 1/2" of limb thickness.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »
I have a yew bow that he made for the  UofO Archery team in 1940

Offline billn

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »
The oldest dated bow I have by Gilman is 1936. I have a couple that are signed, with a velvet like grip covering, but they are undated and appear to be examples of his earlier work.

I have never seen one of his bows with an arrow rest - he believed in shooting off the hand. It may be a later addition, or he may have custom made some for the school. Gilman used bone/horn for his arrow strikes. I own the punch he custom built to outline the area on the bow that he needed to inlet for the standard sized inserts he made. I also have a few of the inserts.

The growth ring density on his bows varies quite a bit. Some are so close they are hard to see without magnification, others have only a dozen or so rings. It is interesting that, on some of his bows - especially the earlier ones, that the heartwood actually covers a bit of the back on the rounded part of the edges. He cut most of his wood in the High Cascades - he didn't like the lower elevation wood, the growth rings are too thick.

Most, if not all, of his bows are spliced in the handle. He made a special fixture for his huge bandsaw to cut the splices quickly and precisely.

I asked Gilman about shooting those brittle 50-60 year old bows. He said they were made for shooting - if the bow broke, get another one.

I have shot the 60s bow about a decade ago. I exercised it quite a bit over a couple of weeks before I finally pulled it to full draw - listening carefully for cracking/popping sounds and examining it carefully for compression problems. I then exercised it at full draw about 50 times before starting to shoot arrows. It may not have helped, but I have seen old bows blow up when yanked to full draw without warming them up - even fairly recent yew bows.

At last count, I have over 50 longbows in my collection, so of them I made myself.

Bill