Author Topic: Primitive flax string  (Read 8608 times)

Stringman

Primitive flax string
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »
Ok now that I have this phone a little better figured out, I'm gonna try Posting some pics. I know everyone has a different string making technique, so this is by no means the end all of the discussion. In fact I don't mind if you want to post your ideas here as well. When I first got involved with PA I called myself stringman cause that's why I did a lot of. Here's little of what I learned.

The crushing block is a jig I made to helP me get the chaff out of the fibers. After crushing the stalks I run the bundle over a lag bolt in the wall.

After I have several bundles of "processed" fibers I will start making string. The stuff that gets pulled from the bundles makes great tinder bundles, so don't throw it away!

I lay 2 bundle on my leg and start the reverse twist making sure that the loop will have plenty of thickness as this is a high friction area.

When the string starts to get a little thin just add a little more fiber. I prefer to add small amounts of fiber often as opposed to adding larger bundles less often. It keeps the string feeling more consistent.

Don't worry about the little tag ends, they can be cleaned up later.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:54:01 pm by Stringman »

Stringman

Re: Primitive flax string
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:58:34 pm »
This string came in just over 200 grains and it was only 40 gens heavier than the Dacron string it replaced.
It should be prestretched before tying it to a bow, and I recommend a bowyer's knot on the bottom.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »
Awesome!  Being into Colonial History re-enacting, I am always interested in seeing someone working with flax. 

Did you rett the flax stems first?  If so, does it stink as much as I have heard?

p.s. I'll take all the tow you can send!  This new flintlock .62 will love the stuff for wadding and cleaning!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:30:18 pm »
Scott and I have talked a lot over the last 4 weeks about bow srings. This is got to be the fastest and simplest way to make one. Scott's method is the kiss bow string. I've spent the last 2 days playing with his idea and adding a couple more steps and it exponentially increases the time. Great post scott! If I ever finish mine I will post it and state time for comparison
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:17:26 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:18:10 pm »
This tring took me about 45 min to make.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:24 am »
Do they stretch & did you ever have one break friend of mine made one of sinew got about 300 shots then it broke.
Rob

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
Very little stretch to a flax string, less than Dacron.  It will break cause it's just Plant fiber, but that's ok with me.  Long as ya know what it is and not expect something different ur fine.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:50:36 pm »
That is too cool!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:09 am »
Nice step by step job and estimation of your weight on that string.Your pictures are very good.You had'nt waxed it yet though when you weighed it correct?You did'nt do any type of breaking test then.I've gotten some 7ply irish linen from a company that I'm going to break test for a string.If it'll break at the low thirtys I figure to use nine strands in a three ply.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:12 am »
OK, under there is no such thing as a dumb question catagory. What is flax and isn't flax fibers also used to back self bows?

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:27:42 am »
@ beadman - actually I did wax it before weighing it. I'm sure the wax didn't add much, maybe a grn or two, but the final weight was 207. I did not break test this piece but experience has taught me that I can hang by a cord of this caliber and therefore it aught to do the job on a 50-55# bow. Nothing very scientific about my method, but it has worked for me.

@ JEB - flax is the grass like stalk that is used to make linen. You can grow it yourself if you can find seed. When flax is processed into the fiber bundles you have a product that is extremely strong. Some use it to back bows, and some make threads and strings.

Scott

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »
I see.The string does look nice and even.By the way is that your new yew bow you just finished you got that string on?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:46 pm »
Nope that's "ole ugly."

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »
Thank you Scott!  I will be implementing this method from now on.  I have always dreaded making natural fiber strings because of the arduous and painstaking method of processing the fiber that I used.  I haven't even tried this, but I already know its way better.  Thanks again!  Josh

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »
where do you find the flax plant?  does it grow in certain areas?