Author Topic: Satin or Silk  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Satin or Silk
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »
So, my paint job on my recent sinew backed Osage is starting to develop cracks in it. I'm thinking of stripping it down and adding either silk or satin as a based to paint with acrylics. This backing will be purely aesthetic because it's already sinew backed. Would satin work for this? I thought of using rawhide, but I'd think it would be a little too thick. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sidenote: I'm likely going to be painting with those acrylic paint markers. Thanks.

Offline k-hat

Re: Satin or Silk
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »
Silk is proven so that's what i'd go with.  I would think that satin would fray too much at the edges.  Silk can be trimmed pretty clean.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:19 am »
Silk
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:57:17 am »
Thanks guys. I'd imagine I can scrounge some up from Joann fabric or a similar joint. Interested to give it a try.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:45:57 am »
Makes sure the check the label on the roll. They have a lot of "silk like" fabrics.
Silk runs about $25/sq.yd.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:21 am »
Real satin is supposed to be silk. Satin refers to the weave technique technically which was originally used to make the fabric glossy.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
I think I'm going to get some white/ivory colored silk and use that. I use TBIII, will that bleed through the silk as it dries and affect the color? I've never messed with silk and glue before, not sure what I'm getting into.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »
You want the glue to completely saturate the silk(or whatever backing material you use) so yes, it will affect the color. You can use Elmers glue and it will dry clearer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:28:55 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:26:52 pm »
Elmer's wood glue?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »
You are much better off using epoxy with silk if you want to bring out the best in the material.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »
I just want something to act as a base of white to do a design on, I figured silk would be good because it's smooth and would take paint well.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:25:06 am »
Once you've saturated the silk with glue it becomes more the glue that you're painting on since the silk will now be submerged in glue.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 12:51:27 am »
Linen is about half the price of silk and takes well with acylic paint well, just don't completely saturate the material, and TB II works fine. You can 'cut' the cloth backing with a file after it dries, it makes a clean line and is quick and easy.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:21 am »
You can use any of the TB glues, Elmers Glu-all, Elmers Carpenters Glue or even Elmers School Glue. They all will work just fine for glueing down cloth, rawhide or snakeskin backings. Some of these glues dry yellow or tan and others dry white or clear. If you want to paint on a design I know for a fact that Walmart's acrylic craft paint is compatable with these glues and adheres well.
  Linen is a very good backing material also.  Have you looked at your local thrift store for silk or linen garmets that you could recycle into backing material. You might even find something with a cool pattern on it. You can buy silk neck ties at most thrift stores for just a few bucks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »
Thought about finding a garment or pillow cases to recycle for their material. Want either plain ivory/white or plain red. I'd like to be able to tinker with a design.