Author Topic: Locust for Bow wood?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Moggy

Locust for Bow wood?
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:22 pm »
Live in NW Arkansas and have the kind with thorns that grows fast, seeds fast, and takes over in new ground. I have to cut them in the summer to keep them at bay. They grow tall and wide into big trees. The bark is kind of like Sassafras in color and texture. Is this good selfbow wood? Techniquely hard to work a Bow out of? What species would you guess it is?

Offline Moggy

Re: Locust for Bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »
Did a little more investigation,,think these are honey locust.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
  I  love  black  locust!!! sap  wood  checks  fast get rid of it,,,it likes perfect tiller,  I'll  back it  with;ash,hickory. sometimes wonderfull stuff!  when the rings are really  tight for me to chase,I'll  make a board bow  I  have tree  boards roughed out right now.  Good luck.  JeffW

Offline Moggy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:40 pm »
Thank ya Jeff! I want a stand alone Bow, no backing. These have the long rows of small leaves but the bark is not smooth and thorny up the main base of the tree. Has rough bark, still not sure if it's black or honey?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
Sounds like you have honey locust rather than black locust, its still a good wood. From my experience the honey locust usually has more sapwood.  Beautiful wood to work with and the smell ain't bad either.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »
Nice!! I have more than I want!!lol Gonna look at the old Stihl 032 thats 20 years old,,fire up,,cut nice long striaghts out, split staves! Thank ya gents!