Author Topic: Hickory backed oak?  (Read 3076 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Hickory backed oak?
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:07:27 am »
I was considering doing a hickory backed oak(white or red of about 3/4" thick) What i would like to do ideally is to heat treat the oak previous to backing it with the hickory which is currently a bit under 1/4" thick, then once i have glued them up it will take less set(presumably) and will be a nice heavy draw and a kind of fast bow. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:19:04 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline AH

Re: Hickory backed oak?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:16 am »
I would try the white oak apparently it's stronger in compression than red, There was another really nice laminate warbow on here that had a white oak belly and a bamboo backing.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:29:56 am »
sounds like a plan. I want to make it kind of light for my first one because i dont think my friend(for whom im making it) will be able to pull any more than 60-70 at 30 inch. I plan on tillering it out to about 34, because he is 6' 6" and had a 30 inch draw when he pulls to his cheek. when he pulls warbow length its about 4 inches longer. Also, how thick should the backing be? how about the belly?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline AH

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:24:54 am »
sounds like a plan. I want to make it kind of light for my first one because i dont think my friend(for whom im making it) will be able to pull any more than 60-70 at 30 inch. I plan on tillering it out to about 34, because he is 6' 6" and had a 30 inch draw when he pulls to his cheek. when he pulls warbow length its about 4 inches longer. Also, how thick should the backing be? how about the belly?
Unfortunately, I have only made two laminate bows in my life, all the rest selfbows, so I don't really think I would be the best advisor in this.