Author Topic: Rit Dye and Silk Backing  (Read 2657 times)

Offline John D

Rit Dye and Silk Backing
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:31 pm »
I'm working on a matched set of hickory bows for my 3 year old twins.  From birth, we have dressed Aspen (older by 7 minutes) in pink and Brooke in purple (there is a more complex system, but you get the point).  So I bought Rit dye in pink and purple, mixed with denatured alcohol and stained the backs.  I then applied a white silk backing (which usually goes nearly transparent).

It seemed like a good idea (at the time) to mix the dye (no alcohol) into the Titebond III and then apply.  They've sat for a month while we've moved.  This morning I cut em loose and was able to peel the silk off with my hands. 

I'm assuming the dye in the glue was the problem.  Can anybody confirm?  Also, do you think I will have adhesion trouble again because the backs are stained with dye?  I was trying to apply the silk backing and make sure it took color at the same time.  Obviously that failed (and it looked chunky and ugly) but I still want these to be boldly colored.  Would anybody advise that I dye the silk prior to application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Rit Dye and Silk Backing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »
The dye might of reacted with the Polyvinal alcohol in the glue causing it to not bond properly.
I would apply the silk and then use a leather dye over the top.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
I used rit to dye linen before i glued it on.  Used water not alcohol and was a little splotchy, so I ended up painting over it, BUT it did not affect the adhesion of the fabric to the back at all.  Used TB2 just like normal and no problems.

Offline John D

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:08 pm »
Thank you Bryce and k-hat.

Bryce: Considering what you wrote, the dye on the wood could potentially stop the glue from bonding to the wood, correct? In your experience, will the leather dye penetrate into the silk after its been saturated with glue and the glue has dried?

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »
Leather dye seems to stain everything...

Ive used Fiebling before, quick, cheap and easy but mighty powerfull.

I would think dye on/in wood would be okay.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »
This is how I would do it.
Size the bows back with glue, let it sit till tacky. Get a little fresh glue one there and  Apply silk and rub it down making sure there are no bubbles. The glue will soak through the silk and that's good. Leave over night. Then hit it with the leather dye.
 I've done this underneath snake/fish skins for contrast.

Considering its hickory it doesn't need backing. Just sand smooth and run the leather dye over the back :)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon