Author Topic: Backed my first bow  (Read 959 times)

Offline campx

Backed my first bow
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:33:06 am »
So, I have one bow under my belt, that being a Douglas Maple jobbie.  Decided for shitz and gigglez to back it, just in case it decided to blow up in my face.  Was looking at linen, silk, burlap, etc, you know, the traditional type stuff I am seeing in these forums.  Me being somewhat a MacGuyver, I found some cotton swatches at Wally World that had a cool looking print (was looking for camo, but hey, I'll make do).  Bought a jug of Titebond II and went to town........this stuff sets up like fibreglass!  I was pretty impressed at the bonding ability to say the least.  Anyways, this may not be for all you primitive folks, but I like it.

bowback 017 by CampX, on Flickr

bowback 019 by CampX, on Flickr

bowback 018 by CampX, on Flickr

And, I fiddle farted around and built a bow string too.  I found some 200lb test 'planer line' for fishing at Wholesale Sports.  I am a spey fishing guy, And I learned the trick to making a loop in the end that will not slip.......more on that in another post perhaps......

Offline Guessed

Re: Backed my first bow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:16:47 am »
I was thinking of backing mine too except I only have synthetic sinew, I'm not sure if that would work. This boat rope is pretty thick too, I've even been thinking of making my string out of the fake sinew too but again, not sure if it would work lol.

Does it shoot any faster/harder?

I just checked out the 'announcements' board too. For the most part I also live in BC (Vancouver). We're kind of like at the same level me and you, "noobs" lol.

edit: a while ago i made this rawhide string, i heard about cable backing and tomorrow I might tie it on my stick as an experiment, for the most part what im doing is just trying to copy photos that have been posted here lol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:21:22 am by Guessed »

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:06 am »
I like it! :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
I think it turned out pretty neat! I hope it holds up for you!

Guessed, you might pm Half Eye. He uses the artificial sinew for his bow strings...the 70lb stuff.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA