Author Topic: White oak Molle  (Read 3497 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
White oak Molle
« on: September 29, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
I've been working on a white oak molle for the last month, or so. It is my first attempt at a rawhide back. I finally got it to weight, today and shot it a couple dozen times. Just have to finish shooting in, skin it, and put my finish on it. It is 64" n2n and 52 lbs @ 26". Here are a few pics..
Here it is braced at 6".

Here it is at 23"

Here is a pic of the handle build up with a 1/4" piece of poplar...

I also put a piece on front on top of the rawhide.

Here is a side view of the handle.

I still have to do some rounding when sanding. Here is a pic right after unstringing. There was slack in the string when I first unstrung it. I just noticed the slack is gone by the time I got my camera and took the pic. Set looks like a 1/2 to 1 inch of set.

Here is a pic of the zebrawood tip.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:17:13 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: White oak Molle
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
wow, nice job! i really like how it looks  ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »
Kenny,
      keep a picture of that bow in case Websters needs an illustration of "perfect tiller" I know them Mollegabets shoot SWEET but that has got to be extra nice.... 8) If you cant kill deer with that bow ya need shootin lessons, eh >:D
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »
Man that turned out nice!!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »
Very nice Kenny.  Great bend in that dude!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »
Thanks, fellas. Every time I make a bow I can usually take my time till right at the end. I can't wait to shoot it. First arrow outta this baby was right in the bullseye. What a feeling!!

I decided to try some leather dye on this one. The shoe store was out of light brown, so I decided to try british tan which looked the closest on the color chart. NOT!! It turned out orange. While I stood there trying to figure out what to do now, my wife walked into the shop and said "Oh how pretty!" I'm not really sure how to take that. I did a little sanding to tone it down some and may mix a little black with it, too. Not sure, yet. I'll keep you posted.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:12:58 pm »
Well let's see orange molly  :P  :laugh: ......so far so good,maybe a tad more reducement in the levers?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »
Heck yeah!  That one is coming along nicely.  Kenny, you got a good one there.  I can't wait to see it all slicked up.   ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:41:59 pm »
They look a little heavy to me, too, Blackhawk, but not sure how much I can take off without bending. There is not much hand shock, now, mostly a little thump and she really sends the arrows with authority. I'm afraid to get too froggy with this one since I lost a couple of recent ones so I'm gonna leave it like it is, for now. I may come back later and take some more off, unless I give this one away.  ;)

Yeah, Howard. It's all your fault. You kept braggin on white oak so I had to try me some. I really like it so far. Since the limbs turned out orange, it messed up my intended color combo, so I had to punt. I should still get her prettied up by next weekend, though.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:54 pm »
Looks Great Kenny! That is a sweet tiller. I'm just finishing up my own molle and it's almost ready to be unveiled. I was just out shooting it today and it sure does shoot sweet, I bet yours does too.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »
Wow!  That is looking great! Its amazing how much the tip overlays change the appearance of the side profile .  I've never made a Molly, after seeing this one, that might have to change.  Great work Kenny.  I'm looking forward to seeing her all dolled up!  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 12:16:44 am »
Nice ....i to jave one close to finish...in hickory .....cant wait to see it all dolled up.
Try a sample piece of wood the finish may change the orange appearance  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 01:44:07 am »
Beautiful. Does it shoot fast?

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 01:45:37 am »
WOW man, I'm really liking that profile. Nice job!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:32 am »
I think the mids could move a little more Kenny. Other than that reduce the levers a touch and seal it! They make for a suprisingly smooth shooting bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.