Author Topic: Black Walnut  (Read 1783 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Black Walnut
« on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:59 am »
Hey guys... today was a rainy day here in NH and I was at a buddies house stalking turkeys. While doing so I came a cross some black walnut trees. Are these any good for bow making? I am not good at figuring out whats good or not for bows

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Black Walnut
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:14:58 am »
I love black walnut for Bowmakeing! but it's not for everybody ??? It is a beautiful wood But it's more prone for set.... shake the dice and see if it's for you.... make sure to include pics ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:16:10 am »
BW will make a good bow. You want to use the sapwood under the bark for the back of the bow. Usually this will give you a little heartwood in the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tanner

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »
I personally enjoyed my first black walnut bowmaking experience (also my very first try bowmaking). It's really easy to work with, is beautiful and smells great (imo). The down-side if you're a no0b like myself is that it's not all that forgiving. I got a transverse crack from a tillering mistake that quickly demoted it to my first pretty wall-hanger rather than my first shooter. :)  For me, however, it's a very common wood where I live so I'll be trying it again soon after I finish up the mulberry I'm working on now.

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

I think black walnut is the most beautiful wood there is. I glued up some pieces last year and backed it with osage! Gold on black - its beautiful! BUT - can't shoot it!! Its got a crease on both limbs at the fades - its a wall hanger now. :(

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:57:21 pm »
You guys are giving me heartaches with you black walnut stories. I've felled a tree a few months ago that ended up giving me a dozen good staves. I've been too busy too finish the first one I started but did some work on it this weekend. It's 62 3/4" total length, 2" at the fades for 12" and then tapered to the points which will be 1/2".

The limbs are currently less than a 1/2" thick and these things still won't move. I know I have to have patience and they keep telling me leave them wide but somethings gotta give here pretty quick or I'm going to start slowly thinning them.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.