Author Topic: Del's English Maple Primitive  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del's English Maple Primitive
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:51:52 am »
I haven't posted a bow for a while, I've made a couple of nice primitives, fairly similar, one Hazel, one Maple.
Now I know you guys like a nice long back story before the pics >:D... so.
Long long ago in a woodland just over the road I spotted a big Oak which had blown down in a storm and taken a Maple with it.
A nice length of the Maple split in two somehow ended up in my garage ;D.
Then, a few weeks back a young lad came over with his dad to talk about making longbows bows and history, so I let him split the worse half of the Maple, he enjoyed it as he'd never done anything like that before as he lives in the big city of London where they don't have woods, but they have cars and trains that go under the ground :o and the pavements are paved with gold ::).
So anyway I made it into bow...
As it was a fairly decent diameter I managed to use the underbark surface as the back with no decrowning for a nice change.
It's got some lovely twists and swoops, the upper limb tip has a real quirky wiggle which I was tempted to cut off, but wanted to keep maximum length. The target was 45-55# at 28" but as it's only 62" tip to tip I went for 50#.
it's actually about 48, but pulls to 50# at 29" which gives some safety margin.
There is very little set, with the belly side tips against a wall I can just about get my little finger between grip and wall, which is pretty good, (I usually expect to get two fingers)

Below a pic taken outside Hertford Town Hall where they have two rather fine Deer sculptures.

Here's the swoopy deflex tip, it's a design feature to equalise the string angles between the limbs compensating for their differing lengths (Oh, my pants have just spontaneously ignited ::))

Some lovely Maple figre on the belly side of that tip...

Her's the back of the bow at that tip, the guy I made it for wanted self  pin nocks (I think 'shoulder' nocks is a good description), otherwise I'd have gone a bit thinner at the tip and done an overlay.

The grip is pretty minimalist and overflows into the fades a fair bit, I was careful to keep a close eye on the limb thickness as I was adjusting the grip for comfort and made sure I didn't push it too far.

Oh and I s'pose you want to see it at full draw?
This time I went for a more elliptical tiller following all the discussion we've been having, I haven't shot it through the chrono yet, but I know it's pretty quick for 50# as it shot 12 yards past our 180 yard marker, slighly uphill.

During the build it had a little steam bending and couple of doses of heat treatment, full build along on my blog starting here...
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/maple-primitive.html
(Oh, and before ayone comments on that last pic... it's my camera bag, not a cod piece! ;D )
Del
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:23:37 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Del's English Maple Primitive
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:53 am »
Nice looking bow from what looks like a very challenging piece of wood. :) Good job on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:14 am »
Very nice bow, that upper tip is something to behold  8). There's a nicely liquid look to the wood and the entire bow.

Don't shoot!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:31:07 am »
Looks great dell.
Any idea what .sp of maple it was?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:59 am »
Looks great dell.
Any idea what .sp of maple it was?
Nope, no idea what sort of Maple...
this is how it looked when I dragged it out of the woods, with a couple of Hawthorn Sticks too.

Nearest thing I could find on the internet was Field Maple which looked about right, but I really don't know... I think even the botanists have troulbe IDing trees. If you're really really interested I could go and take pics of leaves. bark etc.
There's another 3 bows in there still :)
Del
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:56:36 am by Del the cat »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:45 am »
Nicely done Del, that bow has some nice character and the wood grain is very attractive also. Bend looks smooth and to shoot an arrow
that distance it must be a good performer. Don't seem to see many maple bows on here, thanks for posting this one.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:48 am »
Very nice bow, maple can be beautiful wood...like the wagon idea too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:39:37 am »
Very nice bow Del. Great story too. Glad you caught me as I was just getting ready to comment on your makeshift loincloth ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 08:39:46 am »
Cool lookin' bow Del.  Like it a lot.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:56 am »
Very well done there Mr. cat, like the bow and your log cart is brilliant, sir.
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:27 am »
Nice job, Dell. I'm beginning to really like the elliptical tiller on some bows, for sure! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:29 am »
Love it!  Maple is one of the woods that i'd like to get to know well in the near future.  Love that deer prop too!

Offline Del the cat

Dratt a Confession
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
Damn!
I was just wiping on some more Danish Oil when I noticed a couple of tiny chrysals about 8" down on the upper limb (in the area at the bottom of the 4th pic down in the original post) >:(
It's had about 100 arrows through it... anyhow, I've re-tillered it a hint to make it a little more circular and take some load off the tips. I've only lost a pound or two max, but I thought better safe than sorry.
The chrysals weren't there before but I'd just done an over draw test to 29" maybe it was just too much.
Anyhow it fuels the eliptical vs circular debate, as obviously too eliptical can overstress the tips just as circular can over stress the inner limb.
Gott admit I'm favouring maybe just a hint of elliptical, but I have a suspicion that circular is safer.
Dunno what's up with me I've had a couple of issues with may last two bow... I s'pose maybe we're all a bit too perfectionist at times?
Del
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:08:54 am by Del the cat »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 11:06:54 am »
very nice indeed, can't wait to meet it in the flesh and run it through your chrono.
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:04 am »
Sorry to hear about those chrysals, Del.  Very nice looking bow and beautiful wood. 
1’—>1’