Author Topic: UK Newbie Questions  (Read 1793 times)

Offline archerctb

UK Newbie Questions
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:06 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to bow building, if not to archery, and I am hoping you good people can help me with a few questions.

I am about to start on my first bow. I have some Ash which is reasonably straight grained at either end but with some run offs in the centre. My plan is to use the grain end on and put the run offs in the stiff handle area of a flatbow style bow, to help I am planning to back it with linen. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thinking ahead I am already looking for wood for future bows, I know - I haven't even started yet and already I am addicted. I live fairly centrally in London here in the UK and there aren't a lot of places I know of to get wood, the local DIY shops sell nothing much but pine and most of the timber yards are trade only. There are some Osage staves on eBay but they are fairly pricey or there is a timber merchant (S.L. Hardwoods) who can supply red oak and maple boards but I won't know what they are like until I order some. So, the question is, do I buy an Osage stave from eBay and hope I can get 2 bows out of it or do I buy a couple of 4" x 1" boards of maple and red oak and plan to make a couple of laminated staves? Unless anyone can suggest another option that is.

Craig.

Offline lostarrow

Re: UK Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:40:43 am »
It's hard to even imagine the difficulties you face trying to find wood where you live. For most people who live in urban areas here in Canada with transportation limitations (no vehicle) a good option is to contact  some local Arborists or landscaping companies and let them know what you are looking for. Bribery never hurts ,and be sure to reward any efforts  to put you in wood. That way your sources wont dry up on you. Get the word out to everyone you can.You may get wood from places you never even thought of if enough people know what you are up to.  Buying wood sight unseen sounds like a costly and less than fruitfull proposition.I know there are a few fellows on that island of yours that make bows, hopefully they will chime in and help you out with some sources that they know, and maybe even some hands on experience if they are close enough to you.Ash is good ,and a linen back will work wonders ,but not miracles.You mentioned that the timber yards are trade only.So find yourself some tradesmen Cabinetmakers and Furnituremakers would be your best bet as they will understand exactly what you need for your purposes.When making furniture and cabinets  you need to constantly check the grain.  There is always a factor of waste in any project to account for grain and colour matching as well as defects. That perfectly straight grained piece doesn't always suit the project at hand so I set it aside. I don't know how much experience you have with working wood but these are the guys who know how to use,purchase ,set up, maintain the tools you will be using. Hint: everyone who is passionate about their trade will be willing to give you far more information than you could ever use when they find out you are interrested.I think you have come to the right place to find the info you need. This is a great site with  generous people and vast knowledge and experience. Best of luck with your endeavors!
Dave.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:13:15 am »
I am based up in the North near Durham but can easily supply you with either a laminated stave or a plain old stave stave. Just send me a PM and i'd be glad to help.
Buying boards you haven't seen from somebody who doesn't know what you need is a bit like Russian roulette!! Don't do it!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:31:27 am »
Hi, have a look at my website and bowyers diary (google delsbows or bowyers diary).
I'm just North of London, and while I don't actually sell staves, I can show you some woodland and what to look for, I also have some not so good Hazel which is seasoned and would be ok to practice on for a first bow (primitive rather than longbow. EG shorter wider and thinner than a longbow).
I've made a few good primitive bows from stuff in the woods opposite me, either cut by kids or knocked over when bigger trees fell.
Del
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:36:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline archerctb

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:49:08 am »
Dave - Thanks for the good ideas, I will give them a try. I thought I'd post a query here as people always seem willing to help out others getting started, looks like I was right.

mikekeswick - Thanks, I will send you a PM.

Del - Thanks, I have read a lot of your bowyer's diary, in fact a link to that from another site is what got me thinking about trying to make a bow myself in the first place! Thanks for the offer to show me some woodland and what to look for, I may take you up on that when I have some time.

Thanks for the replies, all the advice is very useful.

Craig.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
Craig,
Timberline in Tonbridge are worth a visit. A bit of a journey out of London but they have some good timbers. Look at http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/
I live in Gravesend, Kent. Happy to help if I can. I could sort you out some Ipe and a Bamboo backing if you need it.
Best wishes,
Mark in England