Author Topic: New Jatoba Bow...  (Read 11820 times)

Offline Easternarcher

New Jatoba Bow...
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:48:29 pm »
I wasn't sure if this would work out, but I'm pretty happy with it for my second FINISHED bow. I've built 3, but the second one crysalled badly so died quietly. :'(
This is a hickory backed Jatoba (Brazilian cherry) straight longbow. Draws pretty smooth and top-ends at 27" Also quieter than I expected too, which is nice. Surprisingly little handshock! I debated a long time on the riser design, but in the end wanted to try a radius'ed shelf with a locator grip. I'm happy with it..I was worried that it was cut too close to center, but I beefed up the riser with maple accented jatoba with overlay of walnut on grip, as well as jatoba under walnut riser overlay. Grip is waxed cordage..I like the feel of this and will use it again. It is a nice grip, but slick enough to adjust your hand.
66"overall - 64" ntn, 47-50lb @ 27"- 1.25" wide at fades out to mid-limb and tapered to 1/2" nocks with Jatoba tip overlays. Finish is a couple coats of light pecan stain overall and 5 coats of spray-on Tru-oil...I love that stuff! BTW, it developed 1.5" of set, but it still shoots.

IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w301/Easternarcher/Picture030.jpg[/IMG]

It DID develope a hairline fret just off the fade on the top limb...look close you can see the repair I tried...took off the finish and ran some superglue in the fret and refinished. Didin't appear to be lifting, but I hope it holds thru hunting season. I WILL be carrying it.

Comments are welcome
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:33:35 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Badger

Re: New Jatoba Bow...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:52 pm »
Eastern, I do a lot of work with jatoba, I like it for it's straight grain and speed, I do have trouble with frets also, I usually make them very narrow and very stiff in the outer limb and very wide in the inner limb. Steve

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:09:18 pm »
Eastern, I do a lot of work with jatoba, I like it for it's straight grain and speed, I do have trouble with frets also, I usually make them very narrow and very stiff in the outer limb and very wide in the inner limb. Steve

I'll have to remember that...how wide should I have gone? 1.5" or wider??

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:51:22 pm »
   That's a very pretty bow. Also there is nothing wrong with 1 1/2" set with a straight bow. But ,Where do you find Truoil Spray?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:10 pm »
   That's a very pretty bow. Also there is nothing wrong with 1 1/2" set with a straight bow. But ,Where do you find Truoil Spray?
Hey Mullet, actually it's all I could find up here in our Wallymart. It's the FIRST time I've been able to find any kind of Tru-oil here...I bought 3 cans of the stuff! ;D
Problem is that overspray wastes alot! >:(

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:15 pm »
  That's funny,the last time I was in Wally mart I found it in the closeout for a $1 a bottle.I bought it all.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:09:38 pm »
  That's funny,the last time I was in Wally mart I found it in the closeout for a $1 a bottle.I bought it all.

How about 11.00 bucks a can! :o :o and be thankful they carry any!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:21:05 pm »
  Whew!,I'll pass.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 03:20:30 am »

hey easternarcher!  -  STRICTLY forbidden for beginners' bows to come out that nice  ;D ;D ;D !!!
very fine tiller and don't worry: 1.5" of set won't keep the bow from shooting good.
btw did you induce reflex when you glued up the blank??
like the handlewrap, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:08:06 am »
Real nice looking bow the contrast between the hickory and the Jatoba is very striking.
Tiller also looks right on.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 07:18:33 am »
Very well done.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 07:36:48 am »
Beautiful bow,great job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 08:39:58 am »

hey easternarcher!  -  STRICTLY forbidden for beginners' bows to come out that nice  ;D ;D ;D !!!
very fine tiller and don't worry: 1.5" of set won't keep the bow from shooting good.
btw did you induce reflex when you glued up the blank??
like the handlewrap, too!
frank

Oh man! I guess I didn't read the memo ;D I like to do the best job I can on anything...Medicinewhell, I did not glue in ANY reflex at all! I wanted to try a straight limb to practice my tillering. Guess I did alright. ;) :D HAndle wrap is actually 2-84" waterproof waxed hiking boot laces..On the back side of the grip is where I spliced the ends in....funny how ONE 84" lace still wasn't enough to cover the entire grip area, and it still only fits to the heal of my hand. It's not glued in either, I wanted it removable, but it is holding very tightly.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:44:51 pm »
Nice looking bow Eastern, I'll have to try the handle wrap you did I like it.
VB

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 09:51:25 pm »
Sweet - some fancy woodworking there :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.