Author Topic: White oak D bow. last one for a while!  (Read 3585 times)

Offline H Rhodes

White oak D bow. last one for a while!
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:40 pm »
  Bow season is going to start up pretty soon, and I doubt that I will find much time for bow building till after the 31st of January.  I figured that I would end up my bow building season by getting back to basics.  This one is 65" ntn and 1 3/8 wide up to 11 inches from the tip, where it tapers to 3/8" at the nocks.   It is lightly heat treated white oak.  Black leather wrap grip, with brown suede arrow pass and a slight rest cut in.  Hung a feather off of it so that I would know which way the wind was blowing.  In the low 50's - 54# @ 30".  Sweet shooting bow.  All things considered, a plain ole D bow is really hard to beat.   This one was fairly challenging to tiller, had some snakey side to side stuff going on and one limb had some natural deflex to it, while the other was reflexed about 4"  I tried to just work with what I had and see if I could tiller it out without inducing lots of flips or setback in the handle.   I think it turned out okay.  No full draw photos yet, my photographer is working overtime these days.  One pic of it drawn to 24"  After a couple hundred arrows and being drawn to a full 30" it took on about an inch of set, but was back to about a quarter inch after a couple of hours. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

Re: White oak D bow. last one for a while!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »
Very nice Howard, that ought to kill anything ya run into. That curve is really sweet. good luck with your hunting, bud
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »
That looks real good Howard. Nice profile braced and unbraced also. Bend on the tiller tree looks really nice too. Is it gonna be your hunting bow? Go get em'.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:46 pm »
Thanks Rich. I appreciate it Greg.  I must admit, I am sore from shooting the three that I am torn between!  This one is a definite contender though.  I have another big brother to this one, that is the same sort of bow, but draws about 60# that is probably my main "go to" bow.  I love the little recurves too.  But then, I have to shoot a deer with Rich's bow...  and ... well, you see my trouble....  Good thing about Alabama is that we have 3 and 1/2 months of deer season and some liberal limits.  Hopefully, I will get to use em all!  Good luck this year fellows.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:03 am »
Just found this, Howard. Nice job. Yeah, I'd say you got your work cut out for you figuring out which one to use each morning. Good luck this year. Some of my fondest memories are of deer hunting in Al. when I was in a camp over there. ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »
Thanks Kenny.  I hope you have a good season too.  Well, I spoke too soon.  I have one more that is just about ready to shoot in.  That will be it though!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »
Great looking bow Howard. I agree that it is hard to beat the looks and simplicity of that style bow. Good luck huntin this season, ours opens on monday and I have never been more ready. :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »
Thanks Okie! I hope you have a great season.    I have to wait till October the 15th!!  I am already foaming at the mouth and missing sleep....  I swear - I'm about to turn 48 years old and the opening day of bow season makes me feel like a 5yr old on Christmas Eve. :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:30 am »
Very nice bow. Use it in good health and I hop[e you get a deer with it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »
Thanks Jawge!  Hope you have a great season as well.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi