Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Guessed

What to do next?
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:36:13 pm »
Last time I was home I went out and cut a big piece of oak that was taller than me, this was almost 2 years ago. I gave it to my dad but he chucked out it after the ends of it started to crack. Anyway, not knowing anything about "staves" he went out and cut an ash sapling that had a bunch of small branches growing out of it, I didn't ask when he cut it but it's pretty seasoned already. It's about 3 or 4 inches wide when looking at it.

So, I took off the skin and hacked the limbs off which left a bunch of knots in it. I didn't bother taking it down to one growth ring, I just left it as is after taking the bark off. After that I put the roundest parts of the rings in front and started hacking away at the back (or belly). It now has some give to it.

Right now it's about 6'2'' tall lol. Now I don't know what to do next. Should I cut a few inches off the tips? I already located center and went 3 inches either side of that for the handle.

I figure that I should cut some knocks into it and put a super loose string on it just to see if it can bend then start "tillering" it. I don't expect this thing to last but it's fun knowing I have somewhat of a bow.

It's still pretty thick, there's not too many knots in front (the back), most knots were on the belly.

I dunno, what should I do?

Offline Weylin

Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:48 pm »
If you could post some pictures of it, that would make it easier to give advice. The next step is to plan out your design based on the wood, your draw length, your intended draw weight, etc.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:49 pm »
Pictures would help. I would go ahead and take a couple inches off each end, maybe cut it down to your desired length. If you have already cut in the handle then its probably to late to work around knotty areas.
For what it is worth, with my first osage bow I was in a hurry to 'git her done' and decrowned several knots. After realizing how big a mistake that was I glued down a couple heavy strips of linen. That was nearly a decade ago, its still shoots when I need it to.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Guessed

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:46 am »
Hmm, I only have this not-so-great webcam to take pics with. It's so dark in this room that everything shows up as black and white, I'll take some more pics tomorrow.

Anyway, I found an old knife that I started using as a drawknife. I got a little crazy, pushed too hard and ended up cutting out a large-ish section by the handle, that's now the thinnest part, about 1 3/4'' wide, the rest of the bow is about 2 inches wide (not the 3 or 4 I thought).

Because this thing is so long I cut out some knocks in the tips and put some thin boat rope on it. I gave it a few pulls it to see where it does or does not bend and did a wee bit of tillering. I figured if I messed up I could still cut off the tips a few inches and still have plenty of bow left. Being 6'1'' or 6'2'' I'll probably have to cut it anyway.

While pulling it I heard a snap and looked at the belly and this "sap wood" section of it broke, I guess now I'll have to strip it down to the "heart wood" tomorrow.

I figure this thing will break at some point soon, if it does I'm going to cut it off above the thinnest part above the handle then thin out the handle to match the rest of it and have a 50 inch-ish bow.

side note: I feel like I found a new hobby, I'm an exceptional guitar player so I'm relating this guitar. I suck now but years from now I'll be "pro."

edit: sorry, it didn't "break" but a little chip came out of it, this is why I'm going to take off that layer tomorrow.

edit 2: not the belly, I mean the back.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:18:26 am by Guessed »

Offline Guessed

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »
Well I figured some things out... I think anyway.

To figure out bow length you're supposed to multiply your draw length by 2.3? I did this and now my "bow" actually looks like a bow. I cut it a wee bit longer than that and cut some 2 knocks at the bottom and only 1 at top. I still only have this boat rope on it though lol.

This thing is all warped and the string doesn't go down the center but oh well, it's been fun. I'm pretty sure the handle is too long and thick too. I got some questions I can't remember but... I'll ask later, I have to go somewhere.

Anyway, here's my beastly piece. I cut a small cedar sapling down yesterday. I'm going to try to hurry an arrow out of it and fashion out an arrowhead out of an antler. Again, I'm pretty sure this thing will break but I'm hell bent on shooting it at least once before I leave.

Uh, what should I do next?

edit: like when I pull it back it looks bow-ish lol. It needs more fine tuning though.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:00:55 am »
First of all, could you post a pic of you pulling it back somewhat so we can judge the tiller?