Author Topic: Wheelie people  (Read 3956 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Wheelie people
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »
Well JW when you want to get rid of one.... ::)
I know folks that do shoot wheelies - I have only ever shot recurve - can't really afford to hunt but now that I am down to one kid in the house that may change.  He likes to shoot too.
Ben

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »
Shooting a compound is what brought me into archery to begin with so its hard for me to critisize it in any way. In fact I would guess that the current resurgence of trad archery is due to the recent popularization of compound bows and compound hunting. But I do find it amusing how little people know about what we do. People forget that thethings we make and hunt with were the most effective weapons on the planet for thousands of years.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:43 am »
I have nothing against the compound shooters - to each his own...  if I wasn't such a cheapskate, I might have become one myself!  I have to admit that it wasn't any high-minded, spiritual awakening that lead me to traditional archery and bow building - it was the simple fact that I wasn't going to pay all that money for the kind of gear that bowhunters were using.  Since I was perpetually broke and a penny pincher by nature, I figured that I could learn to build something to hunt with.  As it turned out, being stingy lead me to this pastime, which I absolutely love!  Who would have thunk it?  It would be pretty hypocritical for me to act snobby toward the space bow people, when the only thing that separated me from them, in the beginning was me being cheap.  ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 11:18:22 am »
  I only have one problem with compounders and I afraid most have been brain washed by TV hunting shows and most know no better.
  THEY THINK THAT COMPOUNDS AND CARBONS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. There's just no way you could kill a deer with out just lucking into one if your now shooting a $1000.00 dollor bow carbons and a machinal.  It's not as bad as it use to be 10 years ago. 20 Years ago when I started if you said primitive they thought you were talking recurves or mostly just got a blank stare and ask what a self bow was.
  Now it stills draws blank looks by the younger people that think there pro's. They work in a pro shop right.
   Me and a friend when in a shop a couple years ago. He wan't some ALU. 2216's. The young guy laughed and said whats that. He wanted a pack of ZWICKYS he told us only 3 people shot them in WV and he was one of them. And pointed out some gold tips and rage and said these are the best broadheads there are. He even tryed to sell us some scent-loc all yea you got a bottle of scent spray with it. He said he dos'nt go in the woods with out his. I pissed him off when I said QUESS YOU DON'T NEED THE SPRAY SETTING ON THE COUCH WATCH FOOT BALL.
  I'm afraid for the most part the younger wheelie people are brain washed for the most part by TV HUNTING SHOW ADVERTITMENTS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
The funniest thing on hunting TV is when the deer starts walking in and the range finder comes out lol really!!!!! I spilled my drink laughing so hard when I saw that the first time. Guess it is a way to sell them to the magic believers. Kinda like the spray.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
How about a compound hunter that knows what ground plants are called, knows the trees, knows how to pattern deer and put a comfortable dry camp together using a tarp. Can find north by the stars or sun. Can also make an Osage bow, cane arrows and perhaps a decent stone point. Knows how to trap and butcher his own game, etc.

You may be surprised to find out the background of some compound shooters, but maybe not so much of other ones.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes