Author Topic: Puff ball time  (Read 1350 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

Puff ball time
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:24 pm »
              Guys  I  found   two  puffballs  just  bigger  than  a  soccer ball!!!!!!!!!  I  shared  some  and the  rest a  quick  saute'   to  freeze  for  winter  what  do  you  guys   do  when  you  find  too  much?????????   it's  been  so  long  that  I  had  to  bring  them  to  my  "Cornell"  plant science  friends  to  double  check!!!    JeffW

Offline TRACY

Re: Puff ball time
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:18 pm »
Yeah it's time. Share with others ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:25 am »
I usualy just run over them with my mower. They usualy pop up all over my yard every year, i slice and fry one up every now and then,  but mu wife wont eat them so i dont try to save any of them.
Steve Bennett

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »
same as you, half cook and freeze.  I've seen several as big as you said this year.  on private property though.  :(  now they are turning.  :( :( dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:51 pm »
Somoene once shared a pair of softball sized puffers with me.  Sliced 3/4 inch thick and sauteed in butter...so good that the steak was the side dish!

If you slice thinner you can dry them in the oven.  Just remember that when you reconstitute them they will have a much richer flavor.  Go easy in the soups and stews!  Or send 'em to me!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.