Author Topic: wood/finger rasp  (Read 5827 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

wood/finger rasp
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »
Rasped my finger yesterday, always fun lol. What's the worst you have hurt yourself while  making a bow?

Offline sonny

Re: wood/finger rasp
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »
only thing that comes to mind is grabbing (the sharp edge of) my drawknife to keep it from falling to the ground.
cut a couple of fingers but only bad enough that I had to bandage for a few days.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 01:01:49 pm »
Ouch lol. Trying to catch a falling blade never ends well.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »
using a rasp and then catching the side of the bow with a splinter, its was painful...
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »
While splitting hickory staves with no safety glasses, a piece of the hammer head chipped off and hit me right in the bridge of the nose.  It bled like crazy and my entire nose was so sore I couldn't touch it for a couple of days.  I was lucky though.  I would have lost an eye if it had hit me just a little to either side. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »
Yeah the rasp is my worst, I'm V careful with the bandsaw. The day you get complacent is the day you loose a finger.
Damn... lost a finger
How did that happen?
I just did, this... dang there goes another one >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Guessed

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »
I got myself pretty good with a hand saw when I taking the branches off of my piece of wood about 3 or 4 days ago. I sawed off a branch and the saw fell down and took out a chunk of my thumb at the top lol. My hand also slipped a few times while rasping and that doesn't feel too good.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:43:53 pm »
Draw knifing osage, got my index finger too close to the ragged edge and a huge splinter slid nicely up under my fingernail for about a half inch.  Really sucked pulling that sucker out.  Think i've hurt myself worse, but that's one of the most memorable cuz that long stroke i made with the knife made it feel like it went all the way up my finger.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »
I seem to bleed just looking at tools but the rasp is the worst for me...

My dad had a furniture mill and produced in volume for hotel chains and the like. He produced in such quantity that the workers usually had one maybe two pieces of equipment they were assigned to. When he would hire a new worker one of the first thing he would do was trace there hand on a piece of wood then cut it out and hang it over the station the worker was assigned to. It was interesting watching over the years as some of the didgets were cut away from the hanging hands!!!!! He thought it made the workers a bit more aware of how easy it was to loose a didget .....   sorry had a Cliff Clavin moment :(
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:56 am »
Hand Planing Bamboo backing.  That stuff gets very sharp ,and it dulls the plane quickly. The plane skipped half way down the piece and left my hand that was guiding it to run a couple inches down the edge.Nasty gash, lots of blood. Wrapped it up and continued working. I don't remember how it happened butabout 10 minutes later ,I cut the other hand just as bad. That signaled the end of the bow making for the day. Don't work when you are tired and in a hurry, that's when accidents happen. The bow is still not finished ,more than a year later.It's all glued up and ready to tiller , I'm just afraid it's cursed.

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:15 pm »
sharpening my draw knife my hand slipped...yep it was sharp enough  :o   Cut the second joint on my index finger thru the skin, I think I damage tendon because it was 8 months before I could fully curl my finger again.  At the time I put a bandage on and kept going.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:23 pm »
I find that the wood Seems to injure me the most... splinters , slivers , smashed fingers , I pinched fingers , and 1 time 1 even punch me in the face :-\
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »
Working barefoot and dropped a plane on my foot
-Peter
Arizona

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Hand Planing Bamboo backing.  That stuff gets very sharp ,and it dulls the plane quickly. The plane skipped half way down the piece and left my hand that was guiding it to run a couple inches down the edge.Nasty gash, lots of blood. Wrapped it up and continued working. I don't remember how it happened butabout 10 minutes later ,I cut the other hand just as bad. That signaled the end of the bow making for the day. Don't work when you are tired and in a hurry, that's when accidents happen. The bow is still not finished ,more than a year later.It's all glued up and ready to tiller , I'm just afraid it's cursed.

That bow is not cursed, just the opposite...it's thirsty for blood.  The sooner you get it out in the field hunting the sooner it will leave you alone!

I think the most painful has to be the inevitable osage splinter up under the fingernail.  It would be reduntant to set it on fire, it already burns badly enough!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »
I'm forever running the rasp over my hand and fingers.  Got to where I wear gloves most of the time, at least for the rough work with the farrier's rasp.  Otherwise, I've been pretty fortunate.  It might help that I'm slower than Christmas coming so I have plenty of time to see what retardedness I am about to visit upon myself... Not that that always prevents it from happening.