Author Topic: Rainy Day Point(s)  (Read 1591 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Rainy Day Point(s)
« on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:24 pm »
My opening day deer hunts got rained out so I went out and made some gravel.  I had a huge point going and was thinking andice.  Was almost done thinning and about ready to notch it when...I knocked a huge semicircle out of one side.  This was followed by the same thing twice more on that side.  I don't know what the deal was.  I ended up making a triangle point.  It's a little larger than normal make and I punched in a big notch in the base to try and get the weight down.  It's still a little over 160gr and probably too thick to put on a cane shaft.

Shux, I see the side notches aren't even.  Rats.

George
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:35:08 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

Re: Rainy Day Point
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:59 pm »
That's a sweet point George!  I don't think the slight, make that very slight uneven notches will be noticed much by the critter that gets perforated with it.  Very nice!  Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:59:53 pm »
George, it rained here too. I still went out. That's a fine point you knocked out! Knap-on!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:07:18 pm »
Very nice lookin meat maker! I cant wait to go out on Monday!!!

Scott

Offline seider

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:23:47 pm »
Good point i got to go shoot my 3D target when it finally stopped today about 630.  We got a total of a little over 5"..  I will not complain about that.  Just had to do it on opening weekend.. May try in the morning.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:34:46 pm »
Thanks.  I'll need to make a dogwood shaft to haft that big one.  A heavier bow would be good too.  I got a little more time after the granddaughters went to bed to play some more.  This was really a "can I get a point out of this spall" point. 

I had one really nice deep, thin corner notch and the second one about half done when I blew out one side.  For a change it didn't knock off the corner, just widened the notch out.  So, I widened the other one to match.  Doesn't look like I quite got them even...story of my knapping life. ::)

Wow, 5"!  We got about an inch by the time it got dark but it was still raining.  That, or my gauge is leaking.  It rained pretty steady all day.  I didn't shoot today, but was able to yesterday.  Good luck tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Rainy Day Point(s)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:43:52 am »
Nice work George!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:09:21 am »
George, you're punching out some good points!  Really like the looks of the material.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »
Thanks guys.  The rain is over finally and the sun is shining.  But, while Mary was taking a nap I went out and knocked out 3 more points.  These are smaller, the larger 2 are about 100gr and the smaller one is 68.  Now that the weather is better I can turn my attention to trying to use a point on a deer.

George
St Paul, TX