Author Topic: Quartersawn ash for backing?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Quartersawn ash for backing?
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »
Well, I just came from the lumberyard and found a nice 6 ft. board of quartered ash along with some hickory.
I think I saw some laminates on here with ash backing in the past.
But I also hear that ash isn't the best for backing, but since good hickory is hard to find I thought I'd try it.
Only looking for about 50lbs.....
So what's the consensus on ash for backing strips? Any suggestions?

Offline half eye

Re: Quartersawn ash for backing?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:47:32 pm »
eastern...
      I use it all the time, I like the hell out of it. But that's just one guy's opinion
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:09:26 pm »
As the proud owner of one of Half Eye's ash-backed elm bows, I concur with him. Apparently it makes a great backing!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:35:45 pm by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »
Ash makes a very decent backing and it's easy to find a suitable piece since it often has straight grain. Of course, it also depends on the wood you use for the belly of the bow. If you use osage or ipé, you would be better off by using a backing with an even higher tensile strength such as hickory of bamboo. But if you want to use cherry, walnut, maple or oak for a belly, the ash will really complement it nicely.
Don't forget to check out the white oak as well; it can be at least as good as hickory for a backing...according to Tim Baker. I've got some white oak backing strips myself as well (haven't used them yet) and they look really promising. Easier to get than hickory.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
Well, up here white oak seems harder to get locally than hickory...I can get all the red oak I want, but I don't want that....looking for some elm tho.
Well, I was hoping to use the ash for backing English longbows...target bows, not war bows.
So I think i'll try it. Got some cherry that would look sweet under that white face too! :)