Author Topic: Hold at anchor, or not?  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Hold at anchor, or not?
« on: September 22, 2012, 10:51:44 am »
 I wanted to get some opinions on wheather or not to hold at anchor with selfbows :-\. I've heard where some say that if you do hold at anchor, with selfbows, its harder on the bow, than if you drew, and released in one fluid motion. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hold at anchor, or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
I usually release as soon as my index finger touches the corner of my mouth. If I find myself short drawing I will hold for a second or two until I get over the short drawing.
  Holding a selfbow for more than a second or two will overly stress the bow so try to avoid that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »
i try to hold about 1 second at anchor- this lets my sight picture "settle".
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »
I hold about 2 seconds with both selfbows and my glass recurve. This helps me to settle into that perfect shot position and feel the arrow going to the bulls eye before I release. I always know if my shot is on or not as soon as I release this way.

Jon

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »
I don't like to release as soon as I get to anchor but I don't hold a second...probably a half a second....or when it feels right.  If I start realeasing too soon....that's when it causes trouble!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:41 am »
I hold just long enough to get a good look at what I'm trying to hit.  I guess that would be about a second.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »
I already have a sight pic before I draw. I know where the arrow will go before I draw. When it gets to the time to draw I don't want anything to get in  the way of my concentration. When I begin feeling tension on the string I want my brain to take over and my body to do what it was tought after thousands of concentrated shots.
  With my style of shooting my index finger touching the corner of my mouth is the trigger. If I find my release short I will "reset" my brain by holding for a second or two then I go back to the way I normally shoot. If I hold too long there is too much that will get in the way of my concentration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »

Very well said Pat!!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »
I already have a sight pic before I draw. I know where the arrow will go before I draw. When it gets to the time to draw I don't want anything to get in  the way of my concentration. When I begin feeling tension on the string I want my brain to take over and my body to do what it was tought after thousands of concentrated shots.
  With my style of shooting my index finger touching the corner of my mouth is the trigger. If I find my release short I will "reset" my brain by holding for a second or two then I go back to the way I normally shoot. If I hold too long there is too much that will get in the way of my concentration.

I'm on with what Pat said 100 %  ;) ;)

If I hold I end up missing  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:12 am »
  For years and years I shot like HOWARD HILL draw (fluid) touch ym archor release. I shot fast. But I shot heavy bows hight 60's to low 70's. (HIS WAY OF SHOOTING HEAVY BOWS) I did really well to about 7 OR 8  years ago I had some target panic one summer.
  I DROPED DOWN IN WEIGHT ot mid to high 50's AND STARTED HOLDING A GOOD SECOND. (GOT RID OF MY TARGET PANITIC) Never went back I like that controled feel. But no matter what when the bucks steps into my spot and I know I'm going to shoot. Other than picking my spot. I don't remember a thing when I shoot. The arrows just there or a blood spot.
   IF YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID YOUR NOT SHOOTING TRUE INSTINTIVE. AND DON'T TRY TO WHATCH YOUR ARROW FLY. NEVER TAKE YOUR EYE OFF YOUR SPOT UNTILL YOUR ARROW HITS. Thats follow through worse thing you can do (in practice) is watch your arrow fly.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JustJake

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »
Interesting.  I don't hold long when target shooting, but there have been many times where I have had to hold for quite a while, waiting for a deer to get to that right spot. (And I missed)  I have held to the point of slowly relaxing because the deer stopped short of the shooting lane and I couldn't hold it anymore.  I never thought holding for awhile could be bad for the bow.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:00 pm »
I actually think I shoot both ways.  At targets/3D I shoot very deliberately and hold until the shot feels right, probably around a second.  When I'm hunting I honestly don't know what I do because I can never remember.  From the moment I decide to shoot the rest happens without thought.  I highly doubt I hold at all.  If the animal moves in such a way that I can't shoot I have to let down.  I cannot hold at full draw and shoot well, so I compromise and hold about half way back until the shot presents. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline handirifle

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 03:39:33 am »
I tried for years to do the "touch and release" thing, and found for me, it was the most inconsistent method I ever tried.  I hold for a second or two, what ever it takes to "feel" the shot.  I'm sure each person is different, but for me it's a matter of wondering where the arrow will hit on the first shot, to knowing.  If that takes 4 or 5 seconds, I will know when I release.

It could be my "touch" isn't consistent before the release, but I am not gonna stress over it.  What works for me is the short hold and that's what I will continue to use.

My aiming method is 100% instinctive and natural.  When I thought about it, it was the way I always shot as a kid, never thought about shooting, just did it.  That style allowed me to take pheasants on the ground (no shame either), on the wing, squirrels on the ground and in the tree.  It just worked for me and still does.  Do what feels natural to you.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:22 am »
    AFTER YOU GET THE BASIC'S DOWN. I'M 100 % BELEIVE IN DOING (SHOOTING) WHAT COMES NATURAL TO YOU.
  THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE WHEN SHOOTING INSTINTIVE.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »
I'm with Pat I don't hold much at all. I see the shot, draw smoothly to anchor and release. I have had friends that use gap method and they have told me to not rush the release and when I first got started I was'nt very accurate either way, but the more I do it this way now I am pretty accurate to 20yds. The thing is, if your in the field and you know how fast things can happen, I feel better about just drawing and releasing than I do thinking about it too much. If I hold my anchor I will outhink myself. Having said that, I have improved immensly this year in accuracey and look forward to this years 3d season. I was 1-1 shots on deer this year and 1-2 on turkey so I think its working. I know thats a small number of reps in live fire but its a good start and I have confidence know that when I go into the field, I can make the shot. Hog hunt is coming soon and then spring turkey, so we shall see if it holds up.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God