Author Topic: Staves!  (Read 5860 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Staves!
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:00:02 pm »
Hi everyone!

I recieved a pretty awesome gift a couple weekends ago from OjibwatBowyer.  OB had just returned from visiting family in what we call "the land of bow-wood" (southern ontario, named mostly due to the contrast in quality bow-wood between north and southern ontario)  and managed to harvest a good haul of ironwood.  Lucky for me OB is extremely generous and decided to stop by my ma's place and leave me a few logs :D  Not come over to barter and trade for some of my stuff, just dropped em off for me! whataguy! :D :D

anywhoo, i managed to kerf out 10 staves from 3 near pipestraight logs and got 1 slightly dryer shortbow stave.

thanks alot Nate! much appreciated, i shouldnt need bow wood until next summer (just won a bid for a yew sapling stave on E*** :P )
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Re: Staves!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »
the long ones are 72, the majority are 60-64 and the small one is 52ish :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:11:38 pm »
Wow! What a score.  Christmas came really early for you! Have fun with those!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »
Nice, real nice!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »
There is a bow in every one of those staves.  ;)     I've only worked HHB a few times. It is an excellent bow wood. Nice haul from a generous friend.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:05:23 am »
Sweet!!! 

Never had an opportunity to work HHB but that's a score!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:40 am »
Hornbeam is great wood. I used a fair amount of it when I lived in Maine. There's less of it here in far western Kentucky, but we have lots of other good woods, so I can't complain.

I just got three nice Osage logs a few days ago. The last one--about 8 inches in diameter--looked like the tree would hang up on the branches of other Osages around it and not drop at all. So, I made the first cut about 6-1/2 feet above the ground. Sure enough, The tree just slipped sideways and lifted off the stump about a quarter inch. Then I cut near ground and had my log with no cleanup. That hung-up top will take years to come  down and will probably do it slowly, in stages.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:32 am »
You found Gold! :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 03:54:20 am »
Nice haul on both accounts... >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:06 am »
Good looking staves, nice investment.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »
Hey matt hope they work out for ya, Im going down again in march, this time I plan on bringing either elm or white ash back, what ever is easier to stuff in the rezzed out civic  :D

Offline Matt B

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 02:48:37 am »
Hey matt hope they work out for ya, Im going down again in march, this time I plan on bringing either elm or white ash back, what ever is easier to stuff in the rezzed out civic  :D

Just be careful with that ash, weve got that hateful emerald ash borer in southern ontario here, watch where your getting it from, id hate to see it get spread around even more. Thousands of trees are being cut down and wasted already because of it. I think London is a hotspot.

Offline Guessed

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 03:26:02 am »
Mmm, ash.

Sometime in the next week I plan to get a similar "haul." I realized in Northwestern Ontario there's far more ash available than (straight) tamarack.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:52:52 pm »

Just be careful with that ash, weve got that hateful emerald ash borer in southern ontario here, watch where your getting it from, id hate to see it get spread around even more. Thousands of trees are being cut down and wasted already because of it. I think London is a hotspot.
[/quote]
I'll keep that in mind, might just stick to the elm if thats the case. I get my wood from manitoulin Island, so its a few hours northwest of london and a little to close to them wretched vermin.
And Guessed what part of northwestern Ontario are you from? There isnt any white ash where I am but there is plenty of tamarack, mind you im a few hrs north west of Thunder Bay.

Offline Matt B

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »
I'll keep that in mind, might just stick to the elm if thats the case. I get my wood from manitoulin Island, so its a few hours northwest of london and a little to close to them wretched vermin.
And Guessed what part of northwestern Ontario are you from? There isnt any white ash where I am but there is plenty of tamarack, mind you im a few hrs north west of Thunder Bay.

Yeah, a quick google confirms it in Manitoulin, seems you can even get fines if your caught transported ash. I booked a campsite on balsam lake recently and immediately got a warning that I'm not allowed to bring any firewood at all because of that damn thing.

Sadly I'm from southern Ontario, I'd like to live quite a bit further up, but finanial reasons I'm stuck here... for now. :) Living in Brampton, so basically Toronto