Author Topic: Vine Maple... Tactics for a crooked stick ???  (Read 5229 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Vine Maple... Tactics for a crooked stick ???
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
You said the bark peeled right off which is typically the case on wet wood cut during the growing season. Don't use dry heat if the stave is green. Also don;t remove the ripples and knots from the back. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »
Thanks George...  The stave is about two years old and dry. The bark allmost fell off in the drying process. I really want the back to stay natural so it is finished :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »
I love the funky back of that bow! Vine maple is some pretty tough wood I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tiller it out and start flinging arrows!

Hey k-hat! When I saw the picture of your vine maple bow I had to call my wife over so she could see it! I built a v-maple bow about 15 years ago from a gnarly old piece of vine maple that my logger cousin cut for me. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I split it and managed to get a stave that I thought was a "long shot", at best for making a bow. Well, the resulting bow looks remarkably like your vine maple post! Even my wife couldn't deny the resemblance. That bow also happens to be the sweetest shooting bow I ever built. After at least 5000 arrows it still shoots like it did when it was new! I have to  add that it's also still as ugly as it ever was! I will post a picture or two when I figure out how to do it.    Dale

Dale: I look forward to seeing your vm.  Get a photobucket account if you don't already have one, easy peasy.  BTW, mine is hackberry, not vinemaple, sorry if i led to some confusion there ;)   At any rate, get that sucker posted!  Unfortunately that bow has mostly sat around.  I made it for the wife, and she shot it a few times, but the bug didn't bite :-[  I will say that while it's not a screamer at 20#, it definitely WAY outperformed my son's 20# red oak bow . . . those light arrows really zipped!  I didn't realize how much i'd love character bows when i started this with a red oak board!

Sorry to hijack there . . . hey coaster, you done yet?!? come on brotha get that baby shaped and tillered already ;)