Author Topic: tips for trapping a skunk?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

tips for trapping a skunk?
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »
i have got a skunk that is hanging around the house and sprayed my dog once. ive never trapped skunk before so i was hoping someone a lil wiser than me could give me some tips. i use snares when i trap as they are my favorite to use.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: tips for trapping a skunk?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:16 am »
30 gallon trashcan in the corner of the garage with a half full bag of dog food.  Forget to leave the lid off the can one night and in the morning come out half awake with a cup of coffee in your hand.  Hear rustling in the can and quick slam the lid down and cry out, "I'll fix those d***ed racoons this time.  I'll teach them to leave my dog'd food alone!"  Run over to the plastic shoebox thingy's on the shelf and dig around until you find a string of Black Cat firecrackers.  Light 'em, lift the lid, toss them in, and at the last minute see the black and white stripes instead of a ringed tail.  Slam the lid down. 

Find duct tape.  Wrap the lid.  Haul to the curb. 

Don't ask me how I know this.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:32 am »
i wont ask the question and you wont have to tell a lie lol :-X

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:15 am »
Thanks, Mac.  Good luck with your stink cat with racing stripes.  Spend some time in the yard imitating a Great Horned Owl.  They eat cats and skunks, plus they are territorial.

If one hears you hooting, they will come to investigate.  Maybe he'll help himself to din-din while he's there.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:16 am »
 I wouldn't recommend snares where there's a chance of critters you don't want dead getting in to them(your dog).  If you can get your hands on a live trap or make one, just get a can of tuna and poke holes in the lid and use that for bait.  The riper it gets, the better it works.  A skunk is just a funny looking stinky cat.  They can't resist rotten tuna.  Of course, the regular cats cant resist it either so be prepared to catch a few of them in the process.  You will want to place the trap so you can plug the skunk with a .22 from a distance when you catch him.  I tried relocating  a live one once and only once!  Josh   

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:15:49 am »
Live trap with a cover over it. I caught one while trying to catch the stray cats that were pissing on my front door. When i saw it was a skunk that I caught , I threw a blanket over it and opened the trap. The skunk won't spray unless it really feels threatened ,so talk nice to it before you shoot it!(haha)Good luck!You could also try to make sure that the neighbours yard is more appealing than yours.Don't leave anything out that it might like to eat ,and make sure there isn't anywhere comfy for it to take shelter. If it helps you could throw some sardines in the neighbour's yard.

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:26:17 am »
You can get live traps for skunks. They are low enough that they cant raise their tail to spray. They just run off when you open it up.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 04:37:39 pm »
thanks guys ill try those ideas and i will actually kill him as there is a continous open season all year long here and i dont have a skunk pelt as of yet so i figure i would try my hand at a quiver with the pelt.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »
I know some that trap and they drown the skunk to keep it from spraying if you cage it that will be easy to do
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:33 pm »
I know some that trap and they drown the skunk to keep it from spraying if you cage it that will be easy to do

This is the way..Trust me..Drowm'em best way ifin you want to keep the pelt. It's the only way to kill them and they don't spray
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:35:03 pm »
The only way to kill a skunk without it spraying is drowning....even a clean head shot will not prevent a skunk from spraying.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 11:28:50 pm »
 agree to what has been said.  if you need to relocate one, cover the cage, and it can be moved.  they're pretty cool really.  my buddy made a possibles bag out of one, gave it to his girl friend  ;D  that was funny/stinky.  he still wishes he'd a gotten that back when they broke up. my wife had two as pets as a child...not unscented...they nipped everyone but her.  weasel family...ferrets, otter?, I think they can carry hyrdaphobia and not get it?  that ain't nothin a quarentien can't diagnose.  I'd combine the methods and bait a trash can w/ fishy, put the lid on and ....garden hose?  have fun, dp 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
well no skunk so far but i did a few feral cats and a opossum.( i kno that these cats were not pets they are feral and i did not harm them i released the cats safely and unharmed) O:) the opossum however wasnt so lucky >:D . ive seen this exact opossum defecating on my porch at night >:( . just wanted to give you guys an update

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:39 pm »
When I lived in Missouri I had a skunk underneath my porch that made the whole house smell like skunk. I built a small box trap. I used chili for bait. I caught the skunk the first night. I picked up the box trap and put it in a plastic bag. I transported it in my vehicle to the countryside. I remove the plastic bag and lifted the door from inside my car and backed up while in my vehicle. It was much easier than I thought.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!