Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Matt B

Am I doing this right?
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:00:52 pm »
So I've recently made my first bow, its not "finished" but it can be shot and what not. I just need to test it, recheck tiller, then I can wrap the handle.

First things first, I ordered some arrows (3rivers hunter test kit) and field points (3rivers test field points). They said the arrows were 11/32 shaft. So i used the 11/32 taper, it dry fit really weird (loose and wobbly). They already had nocks on them, so I had a look and noticed they read 5/16. So I went ahead and tried the 5/16 taper (had a nice snug fit) and the 5/16 point. They all fit very well together, except the taper on the arrow can be seen a little bit. Everywhere I've read, it seems you only see the taper if the sizes are wrong so what am I doing here?

I already went ahead and glued the tip on because its going to work anyways, but is there something wrong I've done? I tapered the second arrow at 5/16 right off the bat and the taper is just as long, so it wasn't because I used the 11/32 first. The arrow shaft must acctually be 5/16, in that case I should use 5/16 nock, taper and arrowhead correct?

Thank you in advance for the help, I'm completely new to bow making, arrow making, and even archery for that matter, It's probably been almost 15 years since I even shot a bow in highschool. Any extra tips or advice would help to.  ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this being the first time I've done any work on an arrow not really knowing what I'm doing I managed to burn off the of the varnish up by the point... Should I recoat this? or just not worry about it? If so, what specifically to use?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:21:19 pm by Matt B »

Offline Scowler

Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »
It sounds like you just made your taper a bit long.  When you check your arrow point/taper fit and you find that it is too long you can just sand the end of your taper a bit to get the correct fit.  You should also find out what lengh taper you need prior to attaching the point.  For 70 and 100 grain points I use a 3/4" long taper.  For 125 grain points i use a 1" long taper.  Also, make sure you have the proper taper angle.  Good luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:48 pm »
Spin the arrow on the tip of your finger. You will feel a wabble if the point isn't straight as long as the arrow is straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt B

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »
Oh man, taper angle and length? I should be able to sand it down to fit the point. I believe I put the 125grain on that one. As for changing the length and angle. All I have is a plastic piece kind of like a pencil sharpening (by traditional only from 3rivers).

I just tapered it til it wouldn't go any further, I assume I just stop after a certain point depending on length I want. Would you recommend getting a better tool for that? I've seen some where you can adjust. Right now all I have are 3 seperate pieces one for each size

The arrow head seems straight to me. I will have to check it with finger later. But I placed it down on table and rotated it. I only noticed a slight wobble when I held the arrow up close to the fletching. So I'm thinking the arrow may not be perfectly straight.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:50 pm »
do you have a target yet?  ;D  make a couple arrows up and go out and shoot them.  leave em long to start with. have fun and visit this site.  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Matt B

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:12:23 am »
do you have a target yet?  ;D  make a couple arrows up and go out and shoot them.  leave em long to start with. have fun and visit this site.  ;) dpg

;D funny you should ask. The answer would be no, haha. I am going to be heading to bass pro on thursday and pick one up, do you know if they sell some sort of backstop there? I live in the city and if I miss, that wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened.... :D

I also want to make a new bow string, the one I have is a bit old, it was given to me, because the one I made was too short, and I was being taught how to serve it so I needed one right away. I suppose I can use the old one for now. Won't be able to make a new string for a few more days at least, I sprained pinky and ring finger knuckles recently, so it's painful to bend them in certain ways.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:12:10 am »
I always just trim the tip of the tapper so the point don't bottom out before it is fully seated on the shaft. I trim the ends on all of them no matter what tapper tool I use. Just a 1/16 or so will usually do it.  :) I have a wood chuck that I use now but used one like you have for years ,no problem,the wood chuck is just faster if you do a lot of arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt B

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »
Alright, thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to get a target and start shooting. I'm taking a 2 hour fletching course this Sunday, so that should be fun. Apparently were making our own jig and making 2 arrows. I should be making my own in no time  :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:27:08 pm »
There are a lot of manufacturer's of points. Everyone of them produce something just a bit different from the others. They all use the same taper (but) the length varies from each. When possible I try to use points from the same company. For my target points I try to use PDP (precision designed points) as the taper seems to match up better with most glue on broadheads that I've used.

I still need to square up the end so that they all fit the shaft leaving no taper shown. It's called trial and error.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »
I use all sorts of stuff for targets, but I live in the country.  One good back stop/ target is a bunch of feed sacks rolled up and folded and what not shoved dow into another feed sack.  I got several...w/ chickens on them.  :)  look for a feed store on your way.  good luck on that, them store bought targets gets spendy.

sounds like you jumped in w/ both feet and are having fun. that's what matters. dpg

Offline Matt B

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:35:11 pm »
One good back stop/ target is a bunch of feed sacks rolled up and folded and what not shoved dow into another feed sack.  I got several...w/ chickens on them.  :)  look for a feed store on your way.

Not sure of any feed stores around here, I'm sure I could find one if I drove around in the country for a while. Maybe I'll just swing by your parts and gran one of your feed bags  ;D

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »
Sometimes coffee shops will get beans in burlap bags.  I had a friend that got some that way.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:34 pm »
Matt,

How's about a dairy or something on the outside of town.  gonna take awhile to get to my neckof the woods.  ya'll probably reuse your feed sacks up in your parts.  stay away from sports balls that still hold air...believe me ::).  how's the weather, we gona get a winter this year?  dpg

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »
I use a bale of hay from the garden supply place as a target.  Once shot thru, spread over the garlic garden for weed control. 

Russ

Offline Matt B

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »
-Adam, That might not be a bad idea, I'll have to look into it

I kind of need something big to hang incase I miss my target, I've seen large 10' x 10' backstop "drapes" i guess, but theyre like 200 dolla!  :o

Matt,

How's about a dairy or something on the outside of town.  gonna take awhile to get to my neckof the woods.  ya'll probably reuse your feed sacks up in your parts.  stay away from sports balls that still hold air...believe me ::).  how's the weather, we gona get a winter this year?  dpg

Yeah, I'm sure I'll find something, Indiana right? too bad my dad doesn't still do the long haul from Pearson to O'Hare 3 times a week. As for the winter, I've heard both, really mild winter, and quite a deadly one this year. At this point I really don't know what to expect! Last winter was a breeze though, I don't even remember what snow looks like, Its starting to cool down now though, no more 30 degree days.. oh sorry, 86 degrees I mean :)