Author Topic: pin nocks  (Read 8293 times)

Offline billmac

pin nocks
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:48:26 am »
Does anyone use pin nocks on their bows?  I'm still just learning, but it seems to me that pin nocks have the dual advantage of leaving less mass at the tips of the bow and being generally easier to shape.  Are there downsides to pin nocks besides not being quite as aesthetically pleasing?

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: pin nocks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:05:55 am »
The only downside I can think of  (and it doesn't come up that much) is they don't protect the string from coming off if drawn past 90 degrees.  You can make very thin tips with pin nocks ,if you sinew wrap just under the nock, even thinner.

Ralph

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 10:21:48 am »
Personally, I like pin knocks more than I like the 'normal' ones, for the reasons you pointed out.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 01:56:41 pm »
I like half-pin nocks. Just cut a rectangle off the corner. Cut in about 1/3 of the way, then drop it on a rock or somehtig hard and it'll break. Cut to the little spit and you're done. These are pretty appealing to me :).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:33:01 pm »
I wont use pin nocks unless it is an old bow style that had them.  I have damaged nocks while hunting.  If the nocks are small enough to make a huge weight difference, they are already on the edge of failure. One stupid mistake by me and the bow is a cool stick.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 07:58:20 pm »
There are always pros and cons with pin nocks. Pretty much if you think about it you can first cut the nock into the bow tip like you usually do and then cut out the top portion to the tip. Makes sure that there is enough wood there to handle the strain but gets rid of excess material that just sits there and slows down cast. Also try making really thin tips and adding and overly on the back to hold the string or build up a nock out of sinew. Its also another way of building up nocks on small tips and increasing arrow velocity. I always like a little extra though just to insure that it wont break under continuall stress.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

tpoof

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:16:10 am »
I like pin nocks.... ;D
the string always seems to sit proper in them....
they do give a somewhat thicker tip though..

[attachment deleted by admin]