Author Topic: First bow  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
First bow
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »

My first attempt at building a bow. I need to lighten it still pulls way to heavy. Wanting 50-55# draw. I'm trying to figure out the tillering. Let me know your suggestions. The bow is a red oak board bow.
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First bow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »
Looking pretty good,is it already braced ?  or still on the long string ,be sure to not pull it more than the disired weight,just work it down a little at a time,looks like it could use some work mid limb,mainly the right limb but both could move some more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »
Not braced yet. Just long string. I will take more off mid limb then brace it and check again.
Thanks
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:36 pm »
i cant tell from the picture, is it going to be stiff handled, or is it going to bend full compass
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »
It's going to bend a little in the handle. The deminsions are 68" NTN. Handle to mid limb is 1 7/16" tapering to 1/2" at nocks. Back to belly tapers from approx. 5/8" from fades to 1/2" at nocks. Handle is 3/4" thick.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:04:36 pm »
Couple of questions. Brace height 6"-7"?  Do I need to back the bow with linen? And if I do can I put shake skins in top of the linen? I also have a fair amount of sinew.
Sry for all the questions but this is all new ro me being first attempt at making a bow.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »
You can brace it lower the first time you brace it. You could actually brace it about as high as it is now. Brace it as soon as you can, it does change the whole bend. Then brace it a bit higher and another and another till you're at full bracing height. I feel it is better not to brace it too hard, if you're at full draw weight only just after braceing that may result in set. Just my feeling, I'm not very experienced at all. But I still remember clearly my first attempts ;D
Wheter you have to back it or not depends on how the back of the bow is made. You need to tell more on this or make a pic.
Don't shoot!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:23 pm »
I keep it on the long string until I can achieve brace height without reaching desired draw weight of course . Then you can brace with a proper string and as mentioned ,don't pull it anymore than your desired weightat any given drawlength. Exercise the limbs repeatedly before drawing to the next step on the tiller tree after every time you remove material.Keep checking the weight. The bow should be tillered pretty close by the time you brace it . After that it should be just reducing the weight and minor touch ups. I do allot of that with the bow braced to save time ,as most of mine have stiff tips and don't need much work at the ends. Be carefull not to nick the string with the scraper. I've never done it ,but I can't imagine it would be a good thing .If you have concerns with the grain you can back it with linen . Spread the titebond III on , lay on the cloth and work it into the glue until it is soaked through everywhere.I then spread some more on and smooth it out removing any excess.let it dry and trim it up.If you are using cloth it is uniform enough that it shouldn't change the tiller at all.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:56 pm »
Do you have any pictures of the back of the bow so we can see the grain? You may not have to back it at all if the grain is good enough   :D
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:06 pm »

Here is a pic of the grain. No run offs and it is the same on the back and belly. Tomorrow I will post a pic of it braced. I have not drawn it back to final weight yet. I do exercise the limbs between every step I do. I just made a string tonight to string it tO brace height.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:37 am »
that back looks fine from where I sit, should not have to back it. If you decide to brac it relatively late in the tillering, leave the tips stiffer than planned, they'll bend more when braced than on the long string.
Don't shoot!

Offline ScottN

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42:49 pm »
that grain looks nice. just take your time with it and work the wood slowly. I hope that you split that nice piece down the middle, and are using it to make 2 bows  :D

here is a picture of the grain on my first bow. also from a red oak board. I did not need to back it.
click to open it in a bigger window.
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 03:11:46 pm »
I am actually going to get three out if it maybe four another 70" one or slightly shorter and two about 58" long. Tonight I will brace the one I'm working on and really start to see what I've done. It's been a cool journey so far.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:06 pm »

Ok here it is. Brace height is 6" and she draws 48# at 28". Any tips and comments from you experienced bowyers? Looks to me like lower limb is a tad stiffer thaan upper limb. Going tO stain it then probably tonge oil. For my first bow I think it turned out ok. Wanted 50-55# draw weight so I came in pretty close at 48#. I'll shoot her this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline autologus

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »
It looks really good, I can't wait until we can see it finished.
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.