Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Trade 2012  (Read 11404 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Trade 2012
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:46 pm »
That's an awesome bow.  That is exactly what I love about primitive bows.  Simple and beautiful at the same time.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »
How is everyone doing on your bows?  I just got the backing on mine, brown kraft paper :) ive got a pyramid bow in the works 65" TtT 2 1/4 at the fades down to 1/2 at the tip, possibly with a working handle section 1 1/4 wide about 5 1/2 in long, but the bow is long/wide enough that it doesnt need to bend in the handle really :)  My guy wants a few lbs lower than i like to shoot/make so it should be a pretty standard board bow build for me.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline autologus

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »
I'm going to have to start over.  My shorty just could not hold up to that draw length and chrysled like crazy.  I will make another like it but longer.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 11:53:30 pm »
Ive got my board but not much time on my hands, the little time I do have ive been doind sinew and preparing for christmas break. Ill have three weeks solid to work on bows. Got some goodies on order too  ;)

Offline SA

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 01:11:31 am »
i have mine at low brace ....so far so good .
Shawn Acker

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:37 am »
Just finishing a hickory for a commission and have to shoot it in. Maybe today after the pumpkin patch.Trade bow roughed out ,but I will probably make 2 or 3  and choose the best.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »
I was just wondering how this was going?  Can't wait to see some pics.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »
Still just in the design phase.  I'm also planning to make a few at the same time to assure that I get at least one to come out well enough to be sent to my recipient.  I can always find homes for them if I come out with extra bows...   ;D

My guy has a longer draw length than mine so I'll have to practice myself up to be able to shoot it in properly.  I once saw a stand brace that was used to hold the bow and allow you to shoot it with one hand.  I wonder if something like that would allow me to shoot in a bow with a longer draw length than I normally do???

OneBow

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »
From start to a tillered bow(not including finishes/handles) how long does it take most of you guys to complete a board bow?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline SA

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »
i can usually finish one in a week or two just working a little bit each day , i just had mine at full brace @ about 26'' and it started to crystal and developed some cracks in the side and belly  >:( at this rate it is going to take a month or two :)
Shawn Acker

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »
For a Cherokee style D bow, bend thru the handle, with no stains or poly or oil...just bare wood bow, in as little as 2 hours.  IF I had to.  In reality, I'd put at least 20 hours into carefully futzing around until I had something I would be proud for someone to carry.  But that's just a D bow.

Add in tapered limbs, stiff handle, fadeouts and I am going to be pushing 35 hours.  I work slow.  And I take breaks to soak my head in a bucket of icewater like it says in the first Bowyers Bible.  But at least these days I have to BUY tomato stakes. 

SA's bows prolly aren't whipped outa his shop very fast either.  I own one and he takes his time on a professional finish.  He chases out took marks like they are Joe McCarthy on suspected Commies!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:51 pm »
35 hours? I must be doing something wrong  ??? I like the bucket of icewater idea.... :laugh:

Ive been working on one on and off, just rasping away a bit each day. I probably only have an hr or so into it and its halfway tillered 40#@13 inches. I'll put up a pic or two soon.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:04:28 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
I've been keeping more careful track of time,as more people are wanting to buy them from me. Just shooting in a hickory self bow (from a board) From layout to shooting  about 5 -1/2 hrs.  Heat treated the belly,and bent in a little bit of recurve. Stiff tips(kind of molly style). Flemish string with serving took about another 1/2 hour to 45 mins. It took a little longer to tiller than it should have , as it was a 32" draw @ 45lbs. Longer and lighter than typical,so I wasn't sure how thin to go on my rough out.I'm guessing around the 4 hr mark with a design you are comfortable with if you went right at it ,but that depends on the tools ,design,stave material and so on.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »
I think we can all agree that bendy handles are less time consuming to make. But im sure you get more requests for stiff handled bows than bendy lostarrow.

Im also curious how much grain runoff you guys get away with. My board bow had quite a bit of run off. The grain was slightly squiggly. I backed it with 2 layers of linen and a lot of wood glue. Id like to hear from someone a "no good board" with grain runoff can indeed make an unbacked hunting weight shooter.Id really like to hear this because my local lowes has so many boards with grain runoff and never any straight boards. EVER.

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:42 pm »
All of my bows have "sculpted" handles , just a matter of preference.I don't like the way a flat board handle feelsin my hand. When I shoot I try tohave the bow just kind of resting in between my thumb and index,and with a small hand, a comfortable grip would make the width too narrow to handle  the weight of a hunting weight bow(IMHO). Having said that, most of my handles do bend just enough that you can feel it. I rough out on a band saw,so that saves a great deal of time.By the time I plane or spoke shave the saw marks off, there is usually very little tillering to do.A sharp scraper that is taking off curls ,makes quick work of the final tiller,with very little to sand afterwords.(Big time saving there) I've been doing sculptural type work since I was a child,so the actual shaping of the handle only takes 15-20 mins.with about 5-10 of cleanup with the scraper and sandpaper.Same for the nocks. I like to have a nice fitting handle for shooting it in.As for the boards, they are set aside from lumber I'm working with,so I'm kind of taking the cream of the crop.I buy my lumber from a lumber dealer in the rough.1/3 the price or less.If you tell them what you are making ,they will sometimes even help you look for it just out of curiosity.

Maybe we should continue this on another post so we don't clutter this one.