Author Topic: BBBL  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
BBBL
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »
Talk of fast traditional bows has made me decide to post pics of this bow that I have recently re-worked.  I made this bow about 8 years ago as a flight bow.  It was, still is, a Bamboo backed Black Locust recurve 62" long overall and it pulled just over 50# @ 24", what it was tillered to.  I don't remember how much reflex I glued into the bow initially but it did have 6" when I tested it for flight all those years ago.  Here is a picture of the bow when it was a flight bow

And this is arrow speed I was getting using the 300 grain arrows shown in the second picture.  The arrows at the bottom, the ones I was using, are 25" long and weigh between 280 grains and 300 grains and are made of HHB.

The bow had been sitting on my rack for a few years doing nothing so I decided to re-tiller it as a hunting bow.  I tillered it to 28" where it pulls 50# and it hardly lost any reflex while doing so.  I'm sure it won't shoot a flight arrow at 230 fps anymore but it does shoot a hunting weight arrow quit fast.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: BBBL
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »
Wonderful bow Marc.Like everything about it.Now I was just farting around with a friend of mine who has been making self and glass bows for quite a while and has a chronograph.We noticed about a 25 to 30 fps drop in speed each 100 grains less in arrow weight.Does that make sense to you?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline boughnut

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
sweet bow.  looks like a fast shooter to me.  When I think of light weight arrows though I think of a 300 grain shaft with 100 grain point.  But I know nothing of flight shooting the lightest arrows I have are 410 grain actually.  have you tested it out with anything heavier?  I wonder if there would really be much of a difference in your speed that thing looks like it is storing tons of energy.  I think I might try out making a flight bow soon. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »
I would have never thought to back Black Locust with bamboo, simply because of the reputation the BL has for chrysalling.  But it seems some bowyers don't have to play by the rules and can get away with almost anything.  Once again you raised the bar for the rest of us, Marc.  Nice bow!  Nice bow, indeed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »
your bows are always looking great!
really nice work, I never thought bl can handle a bamboo backing.
tiller and speed is awesame

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:40:40 pm »
Thank you guys. 

Ed.  I used to know pretty well how much speed you could expect with a 100 grain change in arrow weight, going down.

I haven't chronographed the bow as it is now but I have shot it quite a bit with arrows of around 550 grains and it is fast.

The bow is highly strained and I wouldn't want to do a lot of target shooting with but it should hold up to hunting use.  I have made a few BBBL bows and it works quite well.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:09:10 pm »
That is a beautiful profile and tiller Marc. It looks very fast.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
Marc, that is a awsome bow!  Didn't even know you could get away with backing Locust with BB.  Always appreciate seeing your work. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:55:27 pm »
Clinic.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
Here are some pictures of the finished bow.

As you can see, Black Locust is pretty good when backed with Bamboo.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »
And tempered... ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.