Author Topic: Bow string  (Read 6412 times)

Offline grinner

Re: Bow string
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:06:50 pm »
Thanks for all the advise. although i wont be able to build bows for a while due to going to Purdue and just don't have the room here or the time to make them but Christmas break I will hit it hard. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 11:18:27 pm »
I love the newer low stretch string materials. I've been using D-10 for a while now and love it. Usually go 8-10 strands for bows in to 50-55 range but I have a 4 strand on my 40lb "Hole" bow. I still use a b50 tillerstring and will usually take the first few shots on a new bow with it. Once I get a FF string made and put on they always feel like a whole different bow! Well worth it IMO ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 11:39:01 pm »
Thanks for all the advise. although i wont be able to build bows for a while due to going to Purdue and just don't have the room here or the time to make them but Christmas break I will hit it hard.
Should be able to find some bowyers there. I'm from there and know that there use to be a few people in the Forestry Dept. that were into it. I live in Columbus and would get together if closer.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline grinner

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »
I have a forestry class now. But the professor is just big on making furniture but there is a wood product class but i think that is mainly furniture too. I have thought about joining the club so i could use the shop. Not sure if they would approve a bow or not but it is defiantly a thought.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:57:17 pm »
I hauled a shaving horse and a half finished stave to a local woodcarver's club meeting once.  After about 10 minutes I had a crowd around me and a blizzard of questions. 

Ask the club if they care what you make so long as it's wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.