Author Topic: First bow  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Lakota

First bow
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:30 pm »
Hello all,
this is another first bow I need help question. Is 57 in too short for Holmegaard design. I will be using dog wood and possibly Black Lockust if need be, I have both. How long is the drying process for a heat box,  or what should the Moisture Content be to start. Can I rough it out before putting in the heat box. I also need pics of the handle design all angles if possible.
  Sorry for asking so many questions my first time on here but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks a lot for any advice and pics

Lakota

Central Alabama

Offline ScottN

Re: First bow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:21 pm »
The Holmegaard bow is one of the bow's on my list to build. Here are some resources I have saved for it so far.

57" sounds just a little bit to short, is there a reason you are limited to only 57"?

Are these wood staves that your trying to use? Is that why you are asking about a heat box?

website with some nice closeup pictures
http://www.flachbogen.de/en/holmegaard.html

check out this document on tillering
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:LmXqYRQM4zUJ:www.fiarc.org/public/Forum/Data/jeval/2005102714414_Tillering%2520the%2520Holmegaard%2520Bow-2.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjwGprNXIDPOb3L-Mh7BTarKKt2aRoSVScsAuie6jrwlvXEffr5rQC8hRoVks7dbMvMcSe9NoNHGz6SX-FXxUiRXTLvfArBb3TEtSOH6sJ7wR-jAWborjfuqK9lr7BhcmHIb29D&sig=AHIEtbQQZ17ommElMkgySa1prmeQxoG6LA

This is a sketch up showing some dimensions of a Holmegaard design. I do not remember where I got it from. Click on the picture to make it bigger

...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Lakota

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:11 am »
Hi Snibbling,
Thanks for such a quick response. I am new to all this. I have heard a good rule of  bow building is twice your draw length is a good starting point for your bow length. I plan on hunting with this bow probably from a ground blind and maybe a tree stand hence the short length. I am using staves from a 6 in dogwood tree. It has natural reflex bit with slight twist. wondering if I should straighten it now or wait till later. I dont wont to wait several months for the stave to dry so I will probable build a heat box. Do you know if dogwood bens with heat gun or steam? I have much to learn but really excited to get started. The dogwood stave is 60 in long, and the black Lockust can be whatever I want. Thanks for all your help and information. Hopefully I can figure out how to get some pics started soon.

Wayne Walker
Lakota

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:38 am »
Twice your draw length is good for a bow that bends through the handle. If you are going to have a stiff handle with fades you should probably add about 20% or so to that figure. At least that is what i have been told.