Author Topic: Bow string  (Read 6413 times)

Offline grinner

Bow string
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »
HI, I just finish my first selfbow and i am not sure what kind of string i need for it. Is just a regular 12- 14 strand string good for a #40 selfbow? Or what kinds of strings do you use. thanks

Offline Weylin

Re: Bow string
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »
My advice is to spend a little bit extra and get a spool of fastflight. It has alot less stretch than dacron which means faster arrow speed, less wrist slap, etc.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »
fast flight is good but takes some life off your bow.  also if you do nto have some type of bone or horn for tip overlays it is more likely to cut through the back of your knock area than b-50.  Less stretch in your sting means more bend on your bow and you only gain about 3fps.  Not worth it in my eyes but to each is own.  On a 40 pound bow you might only gain 1 to 2 fps.  if you have horn tips than it would be ok though.

Offline grinner

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:12:58 pm »
It has osage tip overlays. But I think i will stick with b 50 because the local shop has that. thanks

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »
Im on the fast flight band wagon. I finally broke down and bought a spool of it about a year ago. It is great stuff. Less noise, less wrist slap and shoots faster. I shoot it on all my bows with hardwood and bone overlays. I also shoot it on my osage bows without overlays an havent seen any problems with it cutting into the nocks yet. It is worth the money in my opinion.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:27 pm »
Agree with Weylin, Fastflite is the way to go IMO.  I've seen no evidence personally, that it shortens the life of a bow.  I have it on the first bow I ever made almost 20 years ago.  All that's ever been on there, and it's still goin' strong.  Less stretch, better performance.  B50 is good, and I've used it over the years as well, just a notch slower.  Average shooter probably won't be able to tell much difference.  But someone will chime in shortly and tell you Dacron is the only way to go in their opinion.  Try them both at some point.  You may find that some quality in one is preferable over the other, for you.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »
I use only B-50 on all my bows and have never regretted it.
  I use 14 strands for bows 45#  and over and 12 strands for bows under that. Also I have a loop for the top limb and a bowyers knot for the bottom limb.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:57:45 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:26:21 pm »
I must be in some kind of strange class of wierdos because I make 10 strand Dacron B-50 strings for most bows and have never had a problem. 

I read in one of the Bowyers Bibles that you need 4X the draw weight in bowstring.  Well, if B-50 is at the rated 50# per strand you technically only need a 4 strand string.  Ten strands would be sufficient overkill to make the string as good as bombproof. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »
Somewhat the same here JW.  I was making all my FF strings 12 and 14 strands (50ish lb bows).  Backed down to 10 strands, and then 8.  Very thin but no breaks.  I lay in 6 extra strands at the loop and the knot.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 05:33:27 pm »
I definitely agree with beefing up the nock loops with 8 strand FF.  I also have to build up the serving for the arrow nock/finger section. 

Buddy of mine jumped on the FF bandwagon, but didn't like the narrow strings...so he went to 22 strands!!!  I bet it's not an inch per hour faster than B-50 because of all the added string mass, but it improves his confidence.  Why confuse him with facts when he already has made up his opinions?

Offline grinner

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »
OK next question where can i buy a custom string? i dont have the ability to make one myself and no bow shops make any around me. Thanks

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 07:10:09 pm »
How long is your bow, nock to nock?  I can twist one up for you.

Send me a P.M.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »
you can order a spool of fastflight (or b-50  ::) ;)) online for a cheap price. I found mine for 25$ a spool. And you can easily teach yourself to make a flemish twist in a couple of hours if not less. There is a very good tutorial on poorfolkbows.com. Making your own strings is cheap, fun and easy. Buying custom strings is expensive and if it's not just right then you're s.o.l.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »
I will get that string on the way.  Meanwhile, start reading some of the threads on string making.  It really isn't that hard after you screw up a few. 

Offline ScottN

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
I followed sam harper's article on twisting flemish strings.
http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm

as well as watching this video for technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-J-RpbxFo

when you first start making them, your finger tips will probably be sore  :) mine were atleast
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...