Author Topic: Richard III skeleton  (Read 3197 times)

Offline bumppo

Richard III skeleton
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:23:19 pm »
I wasn't able to find much information on the discovery of Richard III's skeleton other than a short story in BBC and Yahoo news. They both confirm that the skeleton they found had a barbed arrow head lodged in its back which occurred at the time of his death. "A university spokesperson said the evidence included signs of a peri-mortem (near-death) trauma to the skull and a barbed iron arrow head in the area of the spine." from BBC news.

I'm guessing Richard III would have been wearing the best armor available. Is this real-world evidence of a warbow arrow penetrating armor in a battlefield situation? Maybe the arrow was shot from a crossbow? The story of his death, from what I've read, describes him being pulled from his horse and killed with a blow to the head. Maybe he was shot in the back after his death? Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline Loki

Re: Richard III skeleton
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »

There's a pic of the type of Harness he would of been wearing in this pdf.
http://www.richardiii.net/PDFS/scan_yeoman_armour.pdf
Durham,England

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:14 pm »
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Darto

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »
On the subject of identification, the article in the link above, says we have a verified descendant of Richard from whom DNA tests will be made. That should be conclusive if no close relative of Richard died in the battle. Especially given the spine curvature. The Richard III society online forum must be jumping about now!