Author Topic: Le Moyne inspired dogwood bow  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Deo

Re: Le Moyne inspired dogwood bow
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:06 pm »
I really like that bow. I have beeb wanting to make a bow like that for a while. I really like eastern style bows especially the simplicity of the d bows.

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »
Very beautiful. How'd you do the curves?

Offline SA

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »
very nice bow , i've often wandered how much early contact with euoropean's in eastern u.s  may have influenced  tribal culture's.
Shawn Acker

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 02:35:49 am »
Thank you allfor the nice comments.
Hunter: I did the curves by using steam and some pots. Pots are great when doing recurves. The wood also lends to the steam bending very well. I liked this wood so much Im making myself one of these for target shooting.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline WDELongbow

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 07:35:33 am »
I am the happy owner of this bow. Cesar did a very nice job. The bow is amazingly quiet, no hand shock, and a pleasure to shoot. The traces of early history, and the very limited pre-contact archeological record differ from our common notion of what native peoples of SE United States used for their archery tackle design. For example round/oval cross section and recurved tips. This bow straightens out, when strung, to a braced profile identical to the general shape of the bows in Le Moyne's engravings. Despite criticism from academic community, my study of Desoto and Pardo expeditions have found almost entirely "historically accurate" information in these images. Things beside the faces. The material items agree strongly with the archeological and historical record. Is this bow a lost design? We will likely never know. I personally believe this is Le Moyne's best recollection of what he saw. He was there.