Author Topic: Bow Quiver  (Read 4403 times)

Offline nlester

Bow Quiver
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:08 am »
What are the thoughts on bow quivers on selfbows?  I'm sure there are some out there that us them.  I tried using one on a selfbow I made last yr, but it was too noisy.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bow Quiver
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
Selfbows generally dont have stiff 14-18" risers. I know a few guys use them, but Im betting the straps would have to be 8-10" apart at max..........thats gotta be loud.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:04 pm »
I liked a bow quiver when I shot a glass longbow but don't like it for selfbows. I turned my bow quiver into a GFA style side quiver.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nlester

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:41 am »
I liked a bow quiver when I shot a glass longbow but don't like it for selfbows. I turned my bow quiver into a GFA style side quiver.
That's what I ended up doing last year.  Probably will go with something other than a bow quiver.  Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated!

Offline hatcha

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »
Someone posted a "mini-quiver" a couple of years ago which was two pieces of thick (3mm?) leather with notches cut in to them that could hold arrow shafts in.  I think it was just for 1 arrow (one shot - one kill etc) but I plan on trying to fashion a "bigger" version that would take maybe 6 arrows.  It's all just pictures and ideas in my head at this stage so I'll sketch something on paper and try post it here soon.

If anyone can remember the original single arrow quiver, I'd love to see it again! 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »
I use them on all of mine,the 4 arrow strap on type,no noise problem at all. I use to use a back quiver but usually carry a day pack so that don't work well,tried all kinds of side quivers and just decided a bow quiver was the way for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nlester

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
What kind of bow quiver you got there, Pappy?  I'm like you, I usually have something else I'm packing and bow quiver works better for me.  I've never really had much luck with anything else to be honest

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »
I with pappy on this one. I've used my adjustable great northern bow quiver for the last few years and LOVE it!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »
Will, Pappy hpow do the limbs work when they are strapped on like that? It seems like they would be hindered a touch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:57:40 pm »
PD- I've never noticed an issue. I guess the arrows would surely flex before the limbs were hindered... Mine straps on right at the fades so the bend is only slight. Never had a problem with it messing with my arrows or any noise issues ext... I wouldn't go to the stand without it :-)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »
I bought one at the Classic after seeing how good Pappy's worked. Got it from Big Jim. I also use a back/side quiver made by Bobby Ratcliff at High Noon Hunter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:51:59 am »
I'm liking this discussion.  I have a back quiver/side quiver that I made and I kind of hate it.  I can't reach an arrow from it while it's on my back without using 2 hands to do so.  As a side quiver, I didn't like it because I need one hand on it to direct it around brush.  I've started making a bow quiver, but after hunting in a tree stand this week, I'm not sure I'd like it either.  I lay the bow across my lap or the rails of my climbing stand.  With the bow quiver, the arrows would be laying on my lap or the rails. I could see noise being an issue.

Pappy, how is the  bottom, arrow shaft section made for holding the arrows made?  I'm thinking  of gluing multiple piece of leather together, drilling a hole in them, then cutting a slit for the shafts to slide into?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 06:21:17 am »
hedge Mine has a piece of think rubber with an arrow hole and slot cut to push it in,I have several but the last one came from BigJim's.all of these types I have found are pretty pricy but very well made, I try to buy one every year or so and have one on all the bows I hunt with.Pearl I have noticed no issue,guess it might slow it down a little but nothing I can detect,been using them for several years and really like them. :) Everyone seems to want a very light bow but the added weight seems to help stabilize the bow for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:57:57 am »
Pappy, if you have time and think about it, would you get a close up picture of your quivers there?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 07:47:14 am »
You bet. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good