Author Topic: Early hunting Mosquitos  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Bearded Mountain Man

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
Early hunting Mosquitos
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:54 pm »
Okay guys I have got to know some good Mosquito repellant for early hunting. I live in NC and the little buggers are out in a feeding frenzy right now. I went out yesterday to hunt and only stayed for 45 min. I came in with about 20 bites. I was swatting so much I am sure every deer in the county saw me moving around.
        Just so you know I do not use any chemicals on my body, period, so the repellant will need to be natural. Any helpful hints would be appreciated! I don't want to walk into the woods with a citronella candle either. For some reason I think that would be a good deer attractant. 
     Thanks
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity" -Henry David Thoreau

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Early hunting Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »
My thermacell unit works great.  It uses a small wafer that has some plant extract that repells them.  You don't put anything on your skin.  Walmart sells them for around $20.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »
+1 on the thermacell. Never go without it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:43 pm »
Thermacell. Period, end of discussion. Hunting stark naked takes about
two weeks for every possible place to get bitten but who wants to
waste that much time?

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
Awesome. Thanks guys I will look into a thermacell. On a better note I did see a medium size buck on Sat. and 4 other deer running through my woods today. Now I just need to get close enough for a good shot.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
I carry two Thermocells down here. We hunt with mosquitos year round.

If nobody has seen them yet, Thermocell came out with a boot warmer insert that has a wireless remote you keep in your pocket for temperature control. A little pricey at $130 but would be real nice waiting on that buck to get closer than 50 yards with your toes stinging.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:11 pm »
Eddie, I bet when the temp. drops to 65 down there in the florida winter your toes do get a little cold  ;D  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:23 am »
I have heard the thermocells work great,the skitters aren't to bad around here by the time hunting starts and my feet don't get cold ,so I guess I am good,better bring that foot warmer  in Nov. Eddie,I am sure it will be cold for you. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:04 am »
You could try some hedge apples I heard they can repel them little bothers. I don't know how you would apply it . I guess you could either rub the juice on your clothes or maybe just cut the fruit and hang pieces off your clothes. Iv seen it rid a house infestation of German roaches when I was a kid
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:36:51 am »
Steve;

A year ago we had a month of below freezing temperatures, a number of those days around 18 degrees. Take that after walking in wet grass and knee to thigh deep water and your feet get pretty cold sitting in a stand.

And take those pads off the Thermocells and they make pretty good hand warmers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »
You could try some hedge apples I heard they can repel them little bothers. I don't know how you would apply it . I guess you could either rub the juice on your clothes or maybe just cut the fruit and hang pieces off your clothes. Iv seen it rid a house infestation of German roaches when I was a kid

That is so cool. I have never heard that before. I will look into it. I have been leaning toward making a version of our homemade mosquito repellent with some cedar oil and pine oil. Since both are growing in my woods I figure the deer will think I am a tree. right?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »
We hunt with mosquitos year round.

Do you need a falconry permit to do that?  What kind of game to you take with them?  Are they legal to hunt with during tourist season?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
I don't know how well hedge apples work as mosquito repellant.  I stomp on them and smear them on my boots and pants legs for a little natural cover scent and I'll get ate up with mosquitos unless I have my thermacell.

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
Well, I looked into the Thermacell and it is actually very much not natural. It is basically a synthetic (Chemical) pyrethrum soaked wafer that is heated by a Butane cartridge. So basically you are covering yourself with a cloud of invisible chemical vapor. I do think I want to do that, but I guess it does keep the mosquitoes away. I am going to try the essential oil mix and see how it does. Pine and cedar oils as well as lemongrass are supposed to repel the little buggers. I will let you all know how it works.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:59:52 am »
I use skin so soft mixed with rubbing alcohol when I am just out messing around or in the shop.  For hunting, I use Deep Woods Off.  These Carolina deer don't seem to smell it at all.