Author Topic: Skunk smell?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline JEB

Skunk smell?
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:16:13 am »
Picked up a tanned skunk pelt at Fintridge today and it has a slight odor to it.  anyone know of anything that may help tame the smell a bit.  want to make my grnadson a back quiver out of it.  thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Skunk smell?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:42 am »
I had a vet tell me to use Massengil douche if I ever got hit by a skunk. You could try that. I had a set of skunk string silencers that reeked when they got wet but didn't necessarily have a bad smell dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:26:16 am »
My dog seams to get hit once a month and we use a dawn dish soap with hydrogen peroxide mix.
The spray is a oil and you need to cut that oil.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:21 am »
Tomatoe juice works on live fur, why not dead fur to?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:27:20 am »
Think of it as cover scent!

As long as it ain't strong, I kinda like it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:59 pm »
Lemon Juic before tomato juice - It has more citric acid to cut the oil - dawn works well or sneak it into the washing machine with some Ivory soap and the re-stretch it over a rail to loosen it up.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
The massengil was probably recommended because of the vinegar. I know if a gun dog got sprayed, we'd saturate him with vinegar and when the vinegar smell was gone, the skunk smell usually was too.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:57:52 pm »
be sure to turn the truck heater on high as you transport the wet quiver back from the field.  \
I remember when two dumb kids put cover scent on their boots and then fired up the heater in the Ford Fairlane.  Woof!   We both survived.   Did I say WE?  I mean, I think those two dumb kids lived to adulthood. :P

Offline agd68

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:29:14 am »
Check your local vet or pet supply. We have stuff up here called Skunk-Away. It's a shampoo that take the smell away . Works great.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh