Author Topic: Bone Questions  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Bone Questions
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:06 pm »
So I am starting some work with some bone. Planning on making a half dozen or so arrowheads. But I have a few questions about it as I've never worked with it or used bone tools in any way.

1) How sharp can I expect to get a bone tool. I know you can't get them shaving sharp, but should I be able to slice through paper relatively easy?

2) How durable are bone points/tools. Should I expect them to break the first time I shoot them into the ground or are they pretty hardy?

3) Does boiling a bone weaken it?

4) Is there any finishing or preserving that I need to do to extend their life?

5) Are they practical for white tail hunting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Newindian

Re: Bone Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »
1, yes you could slice through paper relatively easy. I've heard it said you can get it as sharp as steel but I haven't been able to

2, I have had bone several  points survive direct hits from a 40 pound bow with only the tip breaking off

3, never boiled it befor

4, never used any sort of finish or heard of one

5, never gotten the chance to hunt one, but people do use them as long as your state allows it
I like free stuff.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:49:08 pm »
Thanks for the info. the only regulation here is that you must use a broadhead that is twenty millimeters wide. i think that is 3/4 inches for my neighbors to the south. they make no specifications for materials.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:12:52 pm »
I also have seen many points survive direct hits, with no damage other than the tips.

Myself, I have not yet taken any animals with bone.

Don't boil it, I've heard it weakens the bone.

Do heat up some oil, not boiling, just hot. Let the bone soak in oil until it's completely cooled. Any kind of oil will work. The oil seems to help it become less brittle.

Let us know if ya shoot something with it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:26 am »
Thanks for the oil tip. And don't worry, if I get the privilegde to actually take any game big or small with these things, you guys will be the first to know.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:19:15 am »
dont forget to wear some sorta dust protection and use ventilation.
breathing bone dust can be harmful.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »
Do a search in buildalongs AndreaS does a great buildalong. I'd link it ifin I knew how
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »
Do a search in buildalongs AndreaS does a great buildalong. I'd link it ifin I knew how
Leroy

Already read it several times and saved it in my favourites  ;). That is the best bone point thread on this whole site, unless there is some old one tucked away deep in the archives. Found a couple good videos on youtube too, but there is nowhere near the information out there for bone tools as there is for stone or steel.

I just finished my first bone arrow head. I posted pics over on the arrows board under "My first bone point".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:20:04 pm by Slackbunny »