Author Topic: The hardest part...  (Read 12769 times)

Offline driftingrz

Re: The hardest part...
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:11 am »
Arrow building/fetching with no jig  and string making..

These finishing processes sound "fun" could anyone point me to a how to/tutorial for dipping I'd like to make my recent bow a little prettier

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:04 am »
I agonize over laying a bow out and roughing it out.  Floor tiller is tough for me cause I'm not great at seeing the bend looking down the limbs.  Once I get a stave to the tillering tree, I'm in heaven.  I love tillering.  It' hard for me to stop once I start.  Bend the stick, make corrections.  Then see how the corrections worked.  Then I've got to correct more, then bend then correct.  Next thing I know it's 2 in the morning and all my beer is gone.

Debarking is just work like mowing the yard.  It's gotta be done.  I do enjoy chasing a ring once I start.  It's like zen.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline druid

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 05:25:15 am »
For me it is begining. When I have half of the stave that is 10-20# of physical weight and have to adze it to near-to-bow-dimensions, all hardwood. Terrible.  :embarassed:

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2012, 06:04:51 am »
PD.I've gone to a lacguer finish called percatalyzed magnalac.It dries in twenty minutes per coat.Three coats with a half inch brush or if your set up to spray it the better.Keep a small jar of lacquer thinner nearby to put brush in inbetween coats.Harder than any poly out there.Plenty flexible too.If it gets scratched sand it to a feather and recoat it with no problem.No lines just steel wool it.I get the dullest finish they have.
Cutting string knocks can be a look and see look and see affair for me.
My mother & mother in law died of cancer too.You know what they say it's the things that about kill ya that make you stronger,but cancer is relentless and a real bastard phantom in the dark.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed