Author Topic: The hardest part...  (Read 12776 times)

Offline seabass

Re: The hardest part...
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:58 pm »
i hate sanding,but i love to make arrows.just got some red osier dogwood shoots from my good buddy Tim.never tried the stuff,but i am ready to go.also have some multi-flora rose that i just cut when i was in the woods this weekend.arrows are my thing.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »
Wow, this thread went up like a bottle rocket. 

I for one, really love chasing growth rings on osage.  I adore the butt-crack of dawn moment when I line the stave up with the rising sun along the stave to highlight the grain and I find the centerline.  Drawing outy the limb profiles is like Christmas Morning.  Rroughing it out and shaping the grip is utterly satisfying.  Sewing on a leather grip and twisting up the string is pure joy. 

I detest tillering.  I prefer the prospects of unanesthetized Third World dental surgery from a syphalitic witch doctor with palsey over facing time in the garage tillering. 

Oh, and I really don't enjoy shooting bows.  I'm in this for the making of bows, not that big into shooting.  Odd huh?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:02:16 am by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:12 pm »
Sanding.  That's the hardest/worst part for me.  I hate sanding.  I think I have it done and I'll start burnishing it and I'll find 10 spots with tool marks.  Sand some more burnish some more and then I'll find 11 tool marks  >:( 

I enjoy sealing a bow.  I use tru-oil and its fun to see a finished bow really start to shine.  Pearly has me sold on dipping the sinew backed bows though.  I'm going to try that on my next one.

yeah...I agree.  I like seeing it come out nice and smooth but getting there...frustrating sometimes.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012, 12:00:43 am »

I detest tillering.  I prefer the prospects of unanesthetized Third World dental surgery from a syphalitic witch doctor with palsey over facing time in the garage tillering. 

Oh, and I really don't enjoy shooting bows.  I'm in this for the making of bows, not that big into shooting.  Odd huh?

Interesting J-dub.. i wouldn't say i don't enjoy shooting, but i understand where your coming from.  I got into this to make a bow so i could shoot, but i would say i really do enjoy making them much more than shooting.  Glad i'm not the only oddball ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 12:05:24 am »
But the best part, bar none, for me....is when someone asks to look at my bows, gets really excited, is surprised when I let them shoot it, and then the look on their face when I tell them to keep it.  Yeah.  That's the best.  Very very very best part.  But in this crowd, that's probably pretty much normal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2012, 01:43:35 am »
Sanding.  That's the hardest/worst part for me.  I hate sanding.  I think I have it done and I'll start burnishing it and I'll find 10 spots with tool marks.  Sand some more burnish some more and then I'll find 11 tool marks  >:( 

I enjoy sealing a bow.  I use tru-oil and its fun to see a finished bow really start to shine.  Pearly has me sold on dipping the sinew backed bows though.  I'm going to try that on my next one.

I agree. The worst part is when you sand so much that it changes the tiller, so you have to correct it, and than sand some more.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Weylin

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:48 am »
I hate sanding and filing the string grooves. I think if I had a better file for the string grooves I could change my attitude on that but for now it takes me forever to do it. But there's nothing that will make me like sanding. I enjoy pretty much all other aspects of bow making though.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:22 am »
I hate sanding and filing the string grooves. I think if I had a better file for the string grooves I could change my attitude on that but for now it takes me forever to do it. But there's nothing that will make me like sanding. I enjoy pretty much all other aspects of bow making though.

I use a coping saw to carve a triangle groove. This finish with the nock file. Goes real quick :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:43 am »
Waiting for sinew backing to cure is torture...though I have found that starting 2-3 more bows during the drying of the sinew provides sufficient remedy for the pain and sleeplessness.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 10:16:17 am »
Sanding can become quick and painless if you gently clean up after yourself as you go. I use 3 sheets of sandpaper max and about 15-20 minutes worth of work. I may lose a pound at most.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2012, 10:34:55 am »
I don't like the finishing work...  I have come to a point where I have two or three shooters laying around that need sanding and finishing...  My shop reaks of bow mania.  Maybe my finishing work will get better with proper hygiene.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline k-hat

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2012, 11:58:39 am »
I'm with you PD, don't do near as much sanding to finish as i used to.  The main thing that needs it is the sides and a little on the back.  I finish tiller with a fine scraper (a razor actually), so by the time its done the belly is babybutt smooth and maybe just needs a touch up around the edges.

Offline Patches

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
Two thinks are hard for me.  The first is the debarking and taking sapwood off osage.  The second is the waiting while the tree I just cut dries and cures.  I have not been at this long, so I have a pile of bow wood curing right now that I will not touch for a while, and it kills me.  I see the beautiful bows on here and want to get started but hte wood still is too wet.  I am looking at makiing a drying box...
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »
I said the same thing Patches, now I have a big pile of gorgeous, dry, yellow wood. Its worth the wait pal.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2012, 02:12:05 am »
Roughing to shape. I don't use electricity and the handsaw, draw knife, coarse rasp,scrapers, hell man, that's
just plain work. The rest is zen doodle magic.
 Unless the damn thing breaks.