Author Topic: The hardest part...  (Read 12768 times)

Offline sharpend60

Re: The hardest part...
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »
I hate de barking, that last bit of cambium drives me nuts.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 07:24:45 pm »
what drives me nut's is me building one bow to your ten, seriouslly the part i have trouble with is working down to a ring, my wrist's are all tore up and it takes two days to make a fist afterwords, Bub

Fly on over bubbly and I will let you in on ALL my secrets!

Pd u have any problems with runs/sages from dipping and hanging? ??

Not a one Soybert. I dip one half and about 15-20 minutes later its done dripping and one drip remains on the tip. I touch it with a wad of tp to soak it up carefully (sorry Clint) and viola' its done. Let it hang 2-3 days and repeat. I messed up a tip on Clints HHB bow with over zealous tp use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:43 pm »
Sanding.  That's the hardest/worst part for me.  I hate sanding.  I think I have it done and I'll start burnishing it and I'll find 10 spots with tool marks.  Sand some more burnish some more and then I'll find 11 tool marks  >:( 

I enjoy sealing a bow.  I use tru-oil and its fun to see a finished bow really start to shine.  Pearly has me sold on dipping the sinew backed bows though.  I'm going to try that on my next one.

Hes got me sold to.   I would have expected you to say debarking and chasing a ring after that hugh haul of osage you got a while back.  I think that would have burnt me out on debarking. lol

OK, sapwood removal is a close second in the dislike category, but I enjoy chasing an osage ring.  My "Bullet" bow took me several days to get a single ring chased on it.  I still enjoyed it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:42:29 pm »
I would enjoy seeing what you use and how you go about it but one must keep some trade secrets  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »
Oh yeah, that 3 or 4 day wait from the time you drop a bow off at the P.O until it arrives at its new owner is agonizing too.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 07:59:45 pm »
I like walking around, looking at the trees and bushes, really. I don't really like asking people wheter I can cut their stuff. Noone makes bows round here, people look at me like I'm nuts if I ask the if I can cut their tree to make a bow from it. ???

I love starting out, staring at some log for an hour, laying out a bow. Then, should any splitting be involved, and there usually is, that makes me a little tense usually, cause you just never really know. I love axing it out, to hammer away and sweat and really make that wood fly.

Then I do the contours of the front profile with a rasp, I really cherish this, this is where that thing gets a face, so to say. Then I absolutely HATE to rasp out the thickness taper, really. Thats the part I put off and start a new bow instead. Needs to dry first anyway, thankgod.

Once I've gotten it to bend really and start tillering it's all fine from there on. Shooting in is great, get to know my new bow, remember the log it was and feel what I've made of it. Sanding can get lenghty, but its really something nice if you can have a conversation meanwhile.

I'm always really excited to put on the first coat of wax or oil, to see the wood really flame up and shine, that is for me the moment I've been heading for. After that, it can dry in peace, I'm probably already at some other bow anyway.
Don't shoot!

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:06 pm »
The only thing I hate is making arrows!! A necessary evil

yeah, i don't like making arrows either, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:45 pm »
The only thing I hate is making arrows!! A necessary evil

yeah, i don't like making arrows either, Bub

ditto
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 08:57:54 pm »
I also hate makin arras.

You spend hours getting them perfect, then you miss that dove and the arrow is gone forever.

Offline okie64

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:16 pm »
When its hickory or elm splitting it is my least favorite part. I dont care too much for sanding out all the tool marks on any wood.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 09:49:25 pm »
For me its sapwood removal, rasping down belly thickness and holding that heat gun when I use it. I really enjoy the finishing process and attempting to make each bow unique and individual with dyes, paints, charcoal , handle wraps or whatever I've chosen for the bow.
BUT ; yeah the waiting for finish coats to dry bites.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

youngbowyer

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
i hate making strings and ring chasing is annoying.
I love roughing out a bow with an ax and shaping the handle.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »
This might brand me for life here on PA, but I just don't like making arrows.  Not much I don't like about bows, cutting, splitting, finishing.  I love it all.  I spend way more time on a dozen arrows than I do a self bow, and it's like punishment.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
All you arrow haters need to man up! You cant have a sweet truck without sweet tires and you cant have a sweet bow without sweet bullets for it. Nothing sets off a well finished bow like a well finished arrow in the chamber. I enjoy making arrows, and lots of 'em. Often times just to match the personality of a new bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 10:51:46 pm »
Pearlie, do you make your own shafts, too?

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA