Author Topic: The hardest part...  (Read 12767 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: The hardest part...
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »
Bryce my wife got cancer a few years back after her lymphodema kicked in, that contraption has been hanging since. It may have 50 arrows through it. The "pretty" blue carpet is our practice room carpet. It may have a beer stain or ten on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. My grandmother had the same thing happen. It's rough...
I really hope your wife is doing better now.
You get a whole practice room?! Lucky! I can't even bring my drums home :(
Btw that bow is a beauty! Osage I reckon. Did you ever get that 73" package  ;)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »
The whole 2000 sq ft basement is my mancave! Pretty lucky dude. Yes thats osage...........thats why its not in PIECES on the floor! No package yet buddy, Im looking for it and will give it my best shot when I can.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »
Beautiful Yella Bow P.D.

Heck man you got a Wheelie Bow on Open Display...
Do you have a Drum Machine too?

>:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
Gussy boy I would GLADLY use a wheelie bow before I would even consider touching a drum machine or electric drums...that should tell ya something!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 04:20:24 pm »
Pearlie, I can tell you have strong feelings about Osage.  But I want you to knwo there are cures for "osageonlyitis.'  I am developing a five step program.   ::) ::)

I'll let you know when I gets it done.

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »
The only cure for "osageonlyitis" is MORE OSAGE  >:D

Were told,and tell people to use only the best wood available to you. And since I have lots of hedge then why should I use anything else...lol.  :laugh:...jus messin with ya Gabe. I still mess around with the "lesser" woods,but I'm always happy to go back to an osage bow after.

I think the hardest part for me is not having enough time in the day everyday to be making bows. I eat ,sleep,and think of them allllll day long. And being away from it drives me nuts(or is it the other way around..lol). I love this stuff...all of it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »
Pearlie, I can tell you have strong feelings about Osage.  But I want you to knwo there are cures for "osageonlyitis.'  I am developing a five step program.   ::) ::)

I'll let you know when I gets it done.

gabe

Its gonna be a while..........grab a Snickers!

Offline Holten101

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »
Heat treating....I hate heat treating, the endless hum of the heat gun...the constant keeping watch and the wait:-(

Like sealing it is well worth it tho:-)

Cheers

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »
what drives me nut's is me building one bow to your ten, seriouslly the part i have trouble with is working down to a ring, my wrist's are all tore up and it takes two days to make a fist afterwords, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »
The old horn bowers used to wait a year sometimes to even tiller a bow. Now that would be an agonizing wait.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 05:59:40 pm »
Sanding.  That's the hardest/worst part for me.  I hate sanding.  I think I have it done and I'll start burnishing it and I'll find 10 spots with tool marks.  Sand some more burnish some more and then I'll find 11 tool marks  >:( 

I enjoy sealing a bow.  I use tru-oil and its fun to see a finished bow really start to shine.  Pearly has me sold on dipping the sinew backed bows though.  I'm going to try that on my next one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline boughnut

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »
Sanding.  That's the hardest/worst part for me.  I hate sanding.  I think I have it done and I'll start burnishing it and I'll find 10 spots with tool marks.  Sand some more burnish some more and then I'll find 11 tool marks  >:( 

I enjoy sealing a bow.  I use tru-oil and its fun to see a finished bow really start to shine.  Pearly has me sold on dipping the sinew backed bows though.  I'm going to try that on my next one.

Hes got me sold to.   I would have expected you to say debarking and chasing a ring after that hugh haul of osage you got a while back.  I think that would have burnt me out on debarking. lol

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
The only thing I hate is making arrows!! A necessary evil

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
Pd u have any problems with runs/sages from dipping and hanging? ??
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...