Author Topic: Second bow, getting better  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Second bow, getting better
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:26:00 am »
I'm not sure what you're seeing, but that tiller looks fine to me.  It always puts a smile on my face when I see another new guy who's got the fever bad  >:D  To me, it sounds like you've got it!

I'm sure you'll pick up plenty by the time the next trade comes around.  But experience really has nothing to do with it.  Last year I signed up for my first bow swap with only 3 previous bows under my belt.  I wasn't even sure if I should be entering, but I figured what the heck.  3 disasters and 4 attempts later I finally produced a shooter that went on to win BOM.  I'm not trying to brag  ::), just tryin to make a point - It's all about doing the best you can and pushing yourself outside your comfort zone.  If you're a newbie, you might not even have a comfort zone, but that's just fine.  No one here is going to tell you "That's not good enough for me", so I would encourage you to sign up for the next one.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

And welcome to the club :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:57:55 am »
Looks very good to me also,2nd or 22nd I would be happy with that. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:36 am »
Thank you very much for all the positive comments.

I have to say that I've been amazed by the traditional archery community. It is one of the most helpful, encouraging groups of people I've ever run into.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »
Thank you very much for all the positive comments.

I have to say that I've been amazed by the traditional archery community. It is one of the most helpful, encouraging groups of people I've ever run into.

Yeah, no wonder the rest of the modern world doesn't trust us!  We are too wierd for them. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »
that is a great second bow there bud.  you should be proud.

Offline Adam

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Nice bow!  I love the look of the artwork and the grip looks great too.  You do very nice work.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 01:45:47 am »
Deadly tiller dude. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 10:30:46 am »
That's a very nice bow, period.  The " for a second bow" caveat does not apply to it.  That is a great bow at any level.  Well done!  Josh

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:06 am »
Nice looking second bow. The only thing you did wrong was to cut your string nocks into the back of your limbs. You should consider adding a nock over lay to correct this mistake.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:56 pm »
Nice looking second bow. The only thing you did wrong was to cut your string nocks into the back of your limbs. You should consider adding a nock over lay to correct this mistake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake. If the board was quartersawn (which it appears to be from the pics), I don't think it much matters if the nocks are filed into the back, because there's no growth ring being violated.  I'm no expert, but I've never had a problem with doing that.

If I'm wrong and it wasn't a quartersawn board, then yes, tip overlays would be a good idea.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »
It really doesn't matter wether its quartersawn, bias, plain, decrowned or single growth ring.  When you cut nocks into the back, you violate the longitudinal grain(for lack of a better term)  this is a potential problem.  Especially when tillered to bend all the way to the tips putting that grain violation under tension strain. If it helps to create a mental image, think of wood grain as fibers.  Sort of like a bundle of sinew.  The fibers have to be unviolated to hold any tension.  Otherwise, the only thing holding it together is the bond between the violated fibers and the unviolated fibers underneath.   Josh
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:08:14 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 04:06:30 pm »
Interesting theory - but one could also say that when a bow is bent, the longitudinal grain is being strained on the sides of the bow as well, just in a different direction.  If that's the case, then couldn't a splinter lift just as easily from the edges where the sides meet the back?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just thinking outloud :)  I just always thought that the growth ring violation was the issue with cutting knocks like that, and I've never had a failure from cutting knocks like that on a quartersawn board.  Maybe I should change my ways :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »
I was modifying my post while you replied.  The reason side nocks and overlays work is because  it is neutral wood not under tension.  Josh

By and by, I don't much care for arguments either.  This is civil discussion a much preferred conversation medium.  :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:21:38 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 05:55:54 pm »
Nice bow, even nicer considering it's your second!
I love painted bow backs!!!
Frank from Germany...