Author Topic: tree id?  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: tree id?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 04:20:33 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've spent the last couple days looking at hundreds of pictures trying to figure out for sure what it is. I gave up and decided to go with Pat's line of thought, call it bow wood and try to make a bow from it.  Thanks again,  Josh
Yup, that's it!
'Bow wood' LOL
I knew I recognised it!  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 06:18:16 am »
Like to see some end rings on that  >:D build a bow with that thorny apple infested stuff
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've spent the last couple days looking at hundreds of pictures trying to figure out for sure what it is. I gave up and decided to go with Pat's line of thought, call it bow wood and try to make a bow from it.  Thanks again,  Josh

bowwood! good call doc
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:08:09 am »
Lol! Good eye Del!  Anasazi, that would be an option if I was from that area, however I was just passing through the area and sorta aquired the limb on the fly. >:D. The wood appears to be diffuse porous and extremely dense.  It is at least as heavy as Osage.  While its green anyway.  Thanks for the replies,  Josh

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »
I am firmly in the crab apple camp. Bark, leaves, berries (apples) and thorns are all on the money.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:06 pm »
And its awesome bow wood if you can dry a straight-ish piece. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 10:14:32 am »
Thanks Gabe.  How does it take heat correction?  I haven't split it yet, but just by looking at the bark I have a feeling that its gonna be a handful.  I doesn't appear to have a straight propeller twist.  More like a snakey back and forth twist.  I will probably wait til spring to find out for sure.  Thanks,  Josh